24inch iMac and WOW!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Josephkyles, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

I ordered a 24 inch iMac the other day. I was wondering would WoW play better in Mac OSX or through bootcamp in Windows XP?

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

good iMac plug... but anyway, I have heard it runs better in Windows from some friends but I haven't tried it myself.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Stick with WoW on OS X. The 10.4.8 update is supposed to improve OpenGL performance by 10-15%.

4. Josephkyles thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, there is still the issue of Ventrillo. The server I use doesn't support Mac. What about Crossover? I wonder if it can run Ventrillo? Anything to distance myself from Windows.

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

On my iMac (2 GHz, 2GB of RAM, 256 MB VRAM) I feel it runs better on OS X then it does on Windows. I haven't played it enough on Windows to know for sure but I wasn't that impressed with how it handle the outside the bank in Ironforge. However, Ventrilo could be an issue. From what I've heard it didn't work on Crossover but I could be wrong there.

As far as just casually playing the game goes, I'd play in OS X any day of the week. Then you don't have to deal with booting into XP just to play the game.

6. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

There is a version of TeamSpeak available for Mac (perhaps consider switching? difficult I know...) it's just very dated. Just an idea ;)

7. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Tell your guild to change the Ventrillo codec to speechx. The can do and should do it. I'm sure you're not the only mac user in your guild.

8. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

I use TeamSpeex (yes its spelled that way) a client based on teamspeak its compatible with teamspeak servers. You can get it here:

http://www.savvy.nl/blog/

Ventrillo has a client in prototype phase--it still has issues but you can still download it. Look for the downloads link on this page:

http://www.ventrilo.com/news.php?article=mac-232prototype6

Hope it helps...
    :)

9. zigmund555 macrumors member

What type of fps are you getting?

Did you get the 7300 video chip?

10. dwishbone macrumors regular

i play on a 2.16ghz MBP. honestly the performance between windows and macos x is barely noticeable. it may be a tad faster in XP, but i'd much rather play under MacOS because i dont have to worry about..well...windows. i always here people in the audio chats or in text after they disconnect at the worse possible time that their WoW crashed or Windows froze and what not. i just have to laugh and say "funny...never happens to me".
    i use the ventrillo and teamspeak clients for the mac. teamspeak's client works pretty well, but ventrillo's doesnt work so well, but it is functional.
    personally when im just playing with one or two people for leveling/questing i just use Skype or iChat to do the conferencing.
    also as stated above 10.4.8 is providing OpenGL enchancements that Blizzard is already hard at work to implement in the next patch.

11. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Hope you got the 7600GT, as the 7300 is slower than the X1600.

12. TastyCakes macrumors newbie

I ordered the 24" imac and cant wait to try it out. Now I'm sure the performance will be awesome but my concerns is the issue of ventrilo and video capture. With the Speex codec, every guild I have been in that was nice enough to at least try and switch codecs for their one mac user almost immediately switched back after many complaints from other guild members in sound quality loss. Now, if every guild member is running the latest beta version of vent then it should be ok however if they're not expect a lot of grumbling and most likely a switchback to the GSM codec. It's impossible to expect everyone's comp and see if they have the latest beta and they may have just ignored the request to change and only saw that they could no longer hear someone or there is noticable pops and feedback or echoes. So good luck with getting a guild to stick with that codec if you get people upset at the change it's like an angry mob complete with pitchforks and torches demanding for the return of their beloved GSM.

Also, I used Snapz Pro X which is just a complete crap video capture program and if you have ever used Fraps then that thing flies! So those are 2 reasons you might play in Windows and not OS X. Sucks because those 2 reasons are fairly strong and are third party apps. The Mac Blizz crew is great though, TigerClaw and JustinKK do most anything to constantly improve Mac performance.

My one other concern is this. If I use Windows to play and don't switch back to OS X and I receive a virus somehow then how does that affect OS X when I switch over? For example, I get a nasty virus that really bogs down my Windows side of things and damn near wants to crash my machine out so I switch back to OS X. Now that the virus is sitting on my PC side of things but on my Mac side is it going to affect my Mac's performace now? It would suck to use Windows for games if it makes my Mac vulnerable to every piece of malware out there. Any info on that? Links or articles, faqs of that nature would be appreciated.

13. dwishbone macrumors regular

most of the guilds ive been a part of have very strict requirements on end game RAID setups. the main raiding guild i was in made everyone have the same version of CTRAID as well as any other required mod. they also made sure everyone had the most up to date version of Teamspeak (which is what they used). if you didnt you couldnt go on the raid...end of story...and it was always pretty obvious who it was that didnt upgrade. most other top tier guild members i've talked to say their guilds are the same way.
    ventrillo's biggest problem is broadcasting from the mac...not receiving. another guild i raided with were fine with the mac client as long as i could hear what was going on.
    cant help on the video capture stuff. screenshots are easy. but video is a pretty specific thing. most people dont record what they do in WoW. there are alternatives out there ive heard to Snapz, but i dont know anything about them really.
    as far as a virus dont worry. one of the great things about running windows is the macos can see the windows volume, but windows cant see the macos volume (unless you have some sort of HFS enabler installed). this in effect keeps your macos volume fully protected from any little stupid windows virus.

14. ZLurker macrumors regular

wondering

Hi all!
    Im thinking of getting an iMac myself and i play alot of wow.
    What resolution are u guys using and is it a big disadvantage to not use the normal screen res? That would be 1900x1200 on the 24".
    I have heard that the quality on goes down alot on a flat-screen if not run on the normal res.
    Thats why im thinking of getting the maxed out 17".
    But in my heart i relly would like to get the 20 or 24".

What is your opinion and experiance?
    Im looking forward for you to post fps on your new 24"!
    Dont forget to mention the settings and res!

Thanx
    ZLurker

15. Every Day macrumors newbie

Would the X1600 have enough performance for WoW? (compared to the 7600)

What about Doom 3?

16. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I can't speak about how it would handle Doom 3, but the X1600 has more then enough power for WoW. I have a 2 Ghz iMac with 2GB of RAM and I barely notice any hiccups at all when I play, even in Ironforge with all settings at least halfway, some at max.

17. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

If you want a computer solely for playing WoW (which by the sounds of it you do) then maybe a PC is better? :eek: