24inch imac 'issues'

Discussion in 'iMac' started by speakerwizard, Nov 1, 2006.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

ok, so i just repaired permissions cause there was some strange things going on. (icons not appearing on desktop until finder restarted etc.) and now the iMac wont sleep on its own, so i disconnected all bluetooth and usb, still nothing, also did a SMC reset, didnt help. thinking i may have to reset PRAM but not done it before, any one know how to do it on an imac 24"? also, should i wait until i get an external HD to back up before a PRAM or is there no risk from it?, cheers for the input in advance guys

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

^ zap the PRAM as much as you want... did you try all the ways to sleep? hold in play/pause on the remote.

Wait, waht do you mean it wont sleep on it's own? like auto sleep via timer?

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yeah, sorry meant auto sleep, it will sleep when told to, ive always hated how 'sensitive' the auto sleep is on macs, i used to have a powermac with a hundred things plugged in so that never had a chance in hell of sleeping but this imac is being a bit fussy, ill zap the PRAM and see how it goes, have to look up how to do it 1st on an imac

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

cmd-alt-p-r Universal startup keys! hold these in when you hear the "dweeew" @ startup. Also, test the sleep with short sleep times.

5. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

ok, so i zapped the PRAM and . . . still no auto-sleep hhmmmm:confused: well i had a go at taking out my eyeTV as well, still nothing, ANY IDEAS, the only other things i can think of are :
    EyeTV helper (as a login item, i asume this is for the remote ?)
    or mira, remote button mapper software ???

any ideas?

6. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hmm, interesting? Can you manual sleep? Can you dim the screen?

8. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

yup, screen dims before screen sleep, and i can manual sleep (HD sleep). im at a loss, only thing i can think is eyeTV but it was auto sleeping before permissions repaired :confused:
    i have tried all these:

SMC
    PRAM
    Wireless
    USB
    Permissions
    and still nothing

hhhmmmm

9. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

just as an update, i tried the sleep schedule and it did put the HD to sleep, then tried auto-sleep and still nothing! AAGGHHH lol, very strange

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Wait for the external HDD, back EVERYTHING up (ie, take a disk image of the iMac's HDD and stick it on the external drive), and then re-install OS X. If it did it AFTER you repaired permissions, then it's certainly a software problem.

11. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

thanks, i see little else i can do to be honest, whatever comes first, the HD or the next software update for tiger.

12. Carguy172 macrumors member

13. zz5555 macrumors newbie

If nothing else works, you might try sleepwatcher (http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/). I had a similar problem with my mini and finally solved it by having sleepwatcher put the mini to sleep after two hours of inactivity. Works like a charm now.

Steve

14. zz5555 macrumors newbie

If nothing else works, you might try sleepwatcher (http://www.bernhard-baehr.de/). I had a similar problem with my mini and finally solved it by having sleepwatcher put the mini to sleep after two hours of inactivity. Works like a charm now.

Steve