$250 EPP Discount Useless

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by verb, Mar 2, 2004.

1. verb macrumors member

I tried to buy a 20" iMac using my Employee Purchase Program discount through my work. The EPP was offering a $250 discount on a 20" iMac over and above the normal discount. The problem is this ONLY works if you are ok with the default memory configuration. If you order online or over the phone and you change the memory configuration the "Cheap Memory" promotion Apple is running kicks in and OVERRIDES the $250 discount. Therefore if I buy the computer with 256MB of RAM it is about $1860, but if I want it with 512MB of RAM in the one non-accessible slot, the computer suddenly costs about $2100 because the $50 RAM discount overrides the $250 discount. I called 1800MYAPPLE and they claimed they couldn't do anything about it and if I didn't like it I should wait for their memory promotion to end (and hope the $250 discount doesn't end first).

Doesn't this just seem strange?

2. loubapache macrumors member

Apple's pricing is very confusing and strange.

If you go to the Education store and then to the special save section. The obsolete G3 900MHz 12" iBook refurbished costs MORE than the new units by $50. Go figure.

Yesterday in TechTV's screensaver program (7 PM EST), they featured Apple's Powerbook as "memory ripoff". They compared the upgrade memory price on the Powerbooks between buying from Apple and from Crucial.

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Business is Business, sadly.

I spose the $250 comes with a small print that it can't be used with any other promotion. It's a bummer but you shouldn't be surprised. Althought I am surprised that the people on the end of the phone can't do something about it on a more human level. So if you really can't get anywhere try waiting.

4. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Thing is...

RAM is still cheaper if you buy it somewhere else...even if you DO get Apple's discount. Just go with the default config and get your memory at Coast Memory or Other World.

5. ou_phidelt macrumors newbie

But if it is in a non-accessible slot it is a now or never deal. It will give him a higher max ram later if he wants to upgrade the other slots.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ha ha, that's kinda funny. but i guess if the machine is "new," apple offers edu. discount on it. but refurbs are the same offer for everyone, so there's no discount for edu. buyers...

7. loubapache macrumors member

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    If he chooses to buy at 256, the max ram his iMac could reach is 768. That's the level I'm at and I find it's more than enough for my needs.

I've always gone to Crucial, but it's always worth shopping around.

9. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

I am not sure all of it is related to the memory promotion. Before the memory promotion I custom configured a 20" iMac under the EPP program and the $250 savings was reduced to $125 with any BTO options. :(