250 gb hd NTFS format And new DP G4 1.25 PowerMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Julianne, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Julianne macrumors member

OK,

This is my situation. I have switched from the Windoze world to Mac and I have a Maxtor 250 gb hard drive that is NTFS formatted w/ lots of data so formating is not an option. I plugged the drive in my PowerMac that I just got and the drive mounts and I can browse through my files on it, but when I try to copy anything from it to my main HD I get the screen of "You need to reboot". I have hooked the drive up to the same cable as the main HD is on as a slave and I have also hooked it up as a slave and a master on the 2nd cable. I do have external firewire casing but I was hoping to keep the drive internal.

I forgot to add that I do have a Maxtor 200 gb Plus 9 hard drive in the G4 as well and that one I can access and copy data from it too is NTFS formated. And yes I have made sure that I didn't have it as master when I had the other drive connected on its cable as master and the same when I did one as a slave.

Any suggestions on whats going on? :confused:
    All help welcomed! :D

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it's my understanding that Macs can show contents but cannot manipulate or copy files from NTFS...

anyone else with more info..?

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

easiest way out is to borrow someone else's windows box to copy files out from the ntfs drive and copy them into your mac over the network. when you have backup of your files, then just format it as hfs drive on the mac side and move them back.

i think ntfs support will be introduced in 10.4 but that's going to be released just before christmas at the earliest.

4. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

in any MDD mac the internal drives should be jumpered as Cable Select. Other than that, I don't see why this should be a problem. You should be able to read and copy from an NTFS drive (I did it daily for months) either internally or externally. You cannot write to it, of course, but that has nothing to do with reading it or copying data off of it.

5. Julianne thread starter macrumors member

partial solution.. and testing

I tried cable select but that did not help. I can not understand why my 200 gig NTFS drive works fine (read-only of coarse) but the 250 crashes both my Powerbook and my G4. But when I hook it up via firewire to my Dell laptop it works fine no problems what so ever.

Well, anyways to solve the problem I bought a new 250 western digital drive and am transfering over 100mbit lan to my new drive. I think that maybe the NTFS on the 250 might have gotten corrupted some how. So once I have it copied I'm going to format it to HFS and see if I get the same problems. If so, I'm afraid the drive might have gotten partically broken due to the mounting it upside down in the G4 after it had been running its life in a firewire case right side up. Has anyone had this happen to them they switched the running position of a hard drive and had it fail?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Provided it wasn't powered on when you moved it, it shouldn't cause any trouble whatsoever.

7. Julianne thread starter macrumors member

No it wasn't on, but I have read and been told that if you run a drive let's say label side up and then you mount it in another position either on its side or upside down and then run the drive in that position that it can damage the drive. Because it has created a run pattern from the 1st position.