250 gig Drive on G4

Discussion in 'Community' started by UptownVideo, Jul 9, 2005.

1. UptownVideo macrumors newbie

Hello,

Has anyone added a 250 gig drive to a G4 733mhz? Apple told me I can't go larger than 120 gigs. But I've been told by another source I can add the 250 gig drive and partition it. I wanted to make sure this will work before I invest in the larger drive. Also, does anyone know if I can add a "third" drive to this G4 model and will it require a controller card. (I currently have two drives installed and running Final Cut Pro, I need more space for media). Thanks.

Phil....

2. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I really have no idea but you probobly could have gotten more answers if you put it in the right section(Mac Computers, Mac Basics)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not a 250GB *SATA* drive is it? That won't work without a SATA controller. But a 250GB ATA will work, if you use this:

Link to SpeedTools

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I was told the same thing about my G4 733. I was told the chip set wont recognize more than 120GB, I think you would have to get a PCI ATA card to use the drive or go for a FW drive.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Excatly. Partitioning won't help a thing.. the ATA bus simply cannot "see" more than 128 GB.

In order to be able to use more disk space, you'll have to purchase a ATA-133 (or 100) PCI card.