250 Post selected Avatars

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ipacmm, Oct 9, 2005.

1. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was thinking that it takes 500 posts to get an avatar that you can upload and use, what if at 250 posts you get to choose from a few pre-selected avatars to use.

Just an idea…
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    no pre-selected avatars because then i will never know who is who that is posting, i go by the avatars for the people that have them
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    indeed, and would probably be more trouble than its worth to implement
  4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Wouldn't that kind of go against the point of having an avatar – a way to show off your individuality?
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
  6. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You mean that the point of an avatar is to 'think different'? :eek:

I can see it might help those who post slowly and take a while to get to 500 posts but want to feel part of the community. I'd be more open to it if it allowed 'slow' posters who have been around for a year and still have less than 500 to have one.
  7. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    I say NO because I only just earned my avatar!

In a similar vein to Blue Velvet's post above, this was going to be my temporary one: :p
  8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....now that's not a bad idea at all - 1 year or 500 posts, whichever comes first....I like it....I have no idea how easy it would be to implement, but I like it....oh yeah!
  9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2005
    Brighton, UK
    Definately not the 250 one, as I've only got 6 more to go until I get my 'tar :D

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    As someone who only posts when he has something to contribute (and who has been around essentially every day since fall of '03); I can see value in the one year rule... :rolleyes:
  11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    And maybe add the stipulation for the 1-year people that they need a post average of .50 a day so that means they'd have at least 200.
  12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Every so often, someone suggests a way of making a 'tar easier to get because it would be so much more convenient and far less work. Why put in some commitment and effort into the site when you could take the easy way?

Even though 'tars are important to easily identify regular members, your views will not be held in less regard because you do not possess a 'tar. This is just one of the nice aspects of MR, IMO.

There's a few people here who have the required number of posts yet forego the 'tar -- they seem to be happy enough.

To me, 500 posts seems a good number to give that feeling of working towards something. When you get it, it seems more valuable to you because you've earned it by consistently contributing to the forums.

Them's are the rules. 500 posts isn't that many -- right, Lacero? :p
  13. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    I think that the 500 post limit is fair. I have been on here for a few years and still haven't earned an avatar. I see it as a way to keep the non-committed people away from the site.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

No, they don't. There are a few contributors who do not have 'tars.
  15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Contributors receive other benefits, some not immediately obvious.
  16. ipacmm thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I agree with you, but I only post when I truly have something to say, I read the site like everyday but only post a few times. What I was saying about the 250 post was not to lower the 500 post but have at 250 some pre-selected avatars to choose from, like 3 different ones people can pick and once they hit 500 posts, they can upload whatever avatar they want.
  17. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Even to those who contribute... :p

I agree that speeding up the time to an avatar would in a way "cheapen" it. Avatars show that someone has spent time contributing in some way to the value of the experience here on the forums for others.

Edit: regarding the pre-selected avatars, that sort ot negates the effect of having an avatar, doesn't it? Avatars are designed to show some insight into the user, and if 30 people had the same avatar (well, with some exceptions, I suppose), how would that be better than no avatar?
  18. joker2 macrumors 6502a

Feb 19, 2003
    DC area
    Nice thought, though even I associate people with their avatars. I've been here over 2 years, just now getting over 250 posts, and was able to contribute when the system opened up again recently. Granted, I don't spend as much time here as I would like to... but try to post something that actually contributes to the discussion, as others have stated they do as well.
    (and re-reading this, it doesn't look like it contributes at all.)

I think it would be a bit misleading to have even a choice of pre-selected avatars. I'll be happy once I have one of my own, but will get it the old fashioned way.
  19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i too relized people with their avatars, when all the contributors and god/ness do their "games" with the tars, it really screws me up....
  20. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Jan 21, 2005
    New Zealand
    I'm sure this has already been discussed, but it would be cool if there was another level of status between 100 posts and 500 posts. It seems like there are a lot of 'regulars' around, yet there is no differentiation between a regular with, say, 350 posts and a member with, say, 150 posts.

On topic, I don't think avatars should be handed out under special circumstances. Keep the 500 posts rule, it keeps things simple :)
  21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    I honestly dont know why people even care about these avatars. I mean the point of forums is to learn and discuss things, so who cares if someone has an icon. I think its stupid and I am not saying that because I don't have one. Just my 2 cents
  22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I like them simply because they highlight to me some of my ol' favourite posters. :)

I like the 500 posts/one year idea though.
  23. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    I agree with Blue Velvet on this. I am sympathetic with those who feel like it is an interminable process to get to 500, but it will be a more fulfilling accomplishment once it has been attained. If it helps anyone, view this as the adult version of having to do certain things to get an allowance.