250 year old Turtle dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacFan782040, Mar 23, 2006.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

linky link

Pretty amazing considering most humans don't even live 100 years.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

That's amazing... benefits of having a REALLY slow metabolism, I guess. (Not to mention being taken care of in a zoo. All a tortoise needs is food and water and to be protected from predation and the weather, and it's happy.)

4. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Thats very cool that they know it lived that long. I've always been fascinated by turtles because of there long lives.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

that's amazing. But at the end, the article says these tortoises live the longest of all animals... I thought either crocodiles or sharks had that distinction?

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I have heard stories of Terrapins found in Maryland that are so old that cival war musket shells are imbedded in their backs. Aparently from soldiers using them as target practice.

Turtles are pretty cool.:)

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats sad to hear...wow 250years now thats a life lived.

See no work and lazy pays off:confused:

Bless

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Harriet has been a favourite of mine for a while,not as old as the Indian jobby but still been around a long time.

Harriet with Bindi
    Harriet
    Sex: Female
    Collected by Sir Charles Darwin in 1835, Harriet is the oldest living animal on the planet. She gives biologists an insight into the potential longevity of giant tortoise species and to the damage potentially already done in skewing the age structure of existing populations. She is the oldest captive land animal on the planet at present. It is a privilege and an honour to meet this beautiful animal, and thousands of people all over the world will attest to this. Harriet also enjoys eating hibiscus flowers and a good scratch!

http://www.australiazoo.com.au/aust.../reptiles_sub.php?BSUSPID=103&BSPID=3#Harriet

PS Australians have a tendancy to exaggerate a bit.

12. SpAtZ macrumors regular

I just came back from seeing dozens of giant tortoises from the Galapagos. They are amazing animals and HUGE.

At the darwin research station there is a toirtoise that has believed to have bullet holes in its carapace made by the Ecuadorian military. They believe bottles were placed on top of the carapace and then used as a target.

Edit: Random Fact: Steven Spielberg used the head of a giant tortoise for the character ET.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That absolutely fascinates me! I would love to see a tortoise that was actually handled by Darwin. It's almost impossible to imagine an animal that has lived longer than the US has been a country.

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

its weird to think that this tortoise was around during the stuff im learning about in history class.

15. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I also love the fact that the add now at the bottom of this page is live tortoises for sale.