Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwd hero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Baltimore, Maryland
My Mid 2009 MBP with a 500 GB hard drive has been running pretty sluggish lately. I decided to clean house, move a lot of larger files (movies, pictures etc.) to an external HD to see if things would smooth out. I have 213 GB of movies I moved to a 500 GB external along with all of my pictures. When I check the storage space in "about this mac" it says 250 GB is of the 500 GB is taken up with "Backups". I use time machine to back my computer up on a 1 TB external, and never have backed anything up on this hard drive (except my iPhone). Can anyone help me find these "backups" and delete them? Here is a screen capture of the about this mac...
ScreenShot2011-11-30at91938PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Download the app GrandPerspective and you'll be able to see what's taking up the space.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its probably Time Machine's local snapshots that are taken. you can remove them by turn off Time Machine and turning it back on or issuing the following command in terminal.

sudo tmutil disablelocal

To turn it back on, you issue the following command

sudo tmutil enablelocal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.