Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikesVolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I purchased the Macbook 1st generation as soon as they came out. I've had minimal problem's up until this week.

Microsoft Word files have been dissapearing from my hard drive like mad!

I shut off my computer before transporting it, and I take exceptional care of it too!

Has this happend to anyone else?!

Help Please!!

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
I purchased the Macbook 1st generation as soon as they came out. I've had minimal problem's up until this week.

Microsoft Word files have been dissapearing from my hard drive like mad!

I shut off my computer before transporting it, and I take exceptional care of it too!

Has this happend to anyone else?!

Help Please!!

Disappearing, you say? Can you give us a little more information? Have you recently added new software, upgraded the RAM, or done anything else funky?

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Are you sure that the default 'save' location has not changed and they are now in a different folder? That is the most likely scenario. Have you run spotlight on the name AND type? How about using a modified date search?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Typically people lose them in

MacHD/users/your name/documents

or

in the Microsoft Word Templates folder.

MikesVolta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
The files were saved in the documents folder. One minute they were there, the next minute they were not. An odd thing was that in Microsoft word, the files were under the most recently reviewed area in "file". I had not opened that file recently, and it says that it had been viewed. I have not added any new software, new RAM, nothing of the ordinary.

Chris14

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Hamilton, NZ
windows?

Do you have Windows installed?
I am having similar problems. Files disappear from my desktop, but appear once I reveal them with spotlight.

Could windows be at fault?

The clock is also losing time occasionally, even though it is locked to set time automatically... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.