256 mb graphics, or 160gb hard disk?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by schmintan, Mar 1, 2007.

1. schmintan macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2007
    here's my conundrum. i can get a macbook pro, 2.16, 128mb graphics, 160gb hd and 2gb ram new on the mac store for about 2100 euros.

on the refurb site i can get a macbook pro 2.33, 256mb graphics, 2gb ram , but only 120gb hard disk for about the same cost.

I really value hard disk space, being stuck for it all the time, but which would you go for?
  2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2002
    Yokosuka, Japan
    The 2.33, 256MB version. Hard disks can be upgraded; the processor and VRAM not so much.
  3. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2007
    theres also the fact that the more powerful one is a refurb, be that good or bad, im unsure
  4. maccam macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2007
    and you might get little suprises if you get the refurb. :eek:

so my opinion get refurb. :)
  5. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2006
    There's nothing bad about refurbs. You get the same 1 year warranty and they should look pracically new.

Pretty much the only real difference is that refurbs don't come in a fancy Apple box, but are more modestly packaged.
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Get the faster machine with the 120 GB harddisk.
  7. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2007
    Go with the vRAM, you'll thank yourself later.
  8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    DEfinatly go with the faster machine, and more vRam those two components can not be upgraded, that harddrive however can. Good luck

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    go with the faster machine. later on you can buy a fast hard drive (internal or external).
  10. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2003
    as everyone else here has said, faster machine/better grx card. 120GB hdd is nothing to sneeze at and if you REALLY blow through that, just grab a good external FW drive and dump the larger, lesser used files like home videos or ripped movies on that.
  11. schmintan thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2007
    took the plunge, got the high spec machine!!! i just spent soooooooooo much more money than i wanted! i so hope its worth it!
  12. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Go for the faster machine definitely as you can upgrade the HDD. And as someone's said already, if you're really lucky you might find it has 160GB anyway. No question what you should go for IMHO.
  13. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    The Vram is overrated, you get a lot more performance increase from a new GPU than more Vram.
  14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2006

That's not very helpful to the question...My vote is get the 2.33 with 256MB vid card. Can't be upgraded, but you can always get more HD space with an external.
  15. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    I agree, to a point. However as the card is souldered on it is beneficial to get the better one as it cant be upgraded and the harddrive can.
  16. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If you are looking at the 2.16/128 vRam then skip the 2gb upgrade and HD upgrade and DIY. Apple charges about 2x the price of the RAM for the upgrade since ( in the states ) I can get a 1gb stick for $70 and BTO upgrade is $160. Because you onle get 1x 1gb on the 2.16 model you don't have to worry about removing the chip that's in there. If you are really inteested in performace I would pass on the HD upgrade as well and get yourself a 3rd party 7200 RPM drive.

As for the vRam, I think it's overrated myself. Faster CPU's are more important, but you are talking about less than a 10% speed boost.
  17. halcyon-days macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007
    uk & ireland
    Definitively go for the refurb. I've purchased a refurb mbp and it was in perfect condition the only difference was basically the packaging. No problems what so ever. Given the specs you've listed if their both at the same price you'll regret not taking the faster processor and increased vram. I know that apple has some lovely packaging but at the end of the day it’s just a box that gets thrown in the attic or out of sight. Go for the 2.33 mbp :)

I opted to get a refurb 2.16 c2d with 128mb and 120gb hd but there was also a 17" mbp but only came with the core duo processor, but like yourself i was tempted but don't regret the decision, i got the best specs for the money i had available at the time.
  18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    My friend bought an iMac like mine, except it had 2.16 and 128mb X1600... he is kicking himself now because he plays games and he can't do anything about it. Always go for the best, you will be glad later.
  19. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It is not a consequence of the 128MB Vram, but the X1600.

In PeeCee circles the X1600 is an absolutely **** pathetic card compared to the mainstream best bang for buck 7600GT card.

I have a a 2.33Ghz MBP with a 256mb card and I still can't play the one game that matters to me in an enjoyable fashion (Civ IV). The games that the machine handles smoothly are oldies like Warcraft III and WoW which I care nothing about.

There are also plenty of review sites out there that places the improvements you get going from 128mb of vram to 256mb of vram at virtually non-existent...

Another factor to take into account is if you are a frequent upgrader, the $500 premium you pay for the top model evaporates instantly when it is time for you to resell it. Just because you paid $500 more for it doesn't mean it will sell for $500 more.
  20. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    my macbook pro has only 128mb and it runs graphics intense games just fine.

ive been playing battlefield 2 recently on medium settings pretty high res. i can go high but it lags a little bit so with 2gb of ram i could do it.

but i still recommend the graphics upgrade because in the future, the only things that are replacable are the hard drive and RAM.