256GB Samsung SSD for Macbook Unibody late 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mdv2, Oct 23, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I've had my Macbook Unibody late 2008 since its very launch and have upgraded various parts over the years, e.g.:

-a new battery
    -2 x 4GB DDR3 memory
    -320GB 7200 RPM hard disk
    -charger

Although it has crossed my mind to replace this machine, but it would only be a waste of money as it still functions well (although I'd love the battery to last longer than 3 hours).

The only problem left is a lack of hard disk space and therefore, I'm considering to buy a Samsung 256GB 840 SSD to be used in combination with my current 320GB hard disk (I know that macbook doesn't support SATA III, but should I decide to buy a new macbook in the future, this SSD will be migrated.)

I've got a few questions I would appreciate your feedback on. Firstly, the hard disk bay shows a SATA link speed of 3GB as well as a negotiated link speed of 3GB. Although the superdrive shows 3GB of link speed, it only has 1,5GB of negotiated link speed. What does this concretely mean for speed, can both the optical bay and the hard disk bay reach SATA II speed? Hence, if I decide to buy a SSD, should I put my hard disk or SSD in the super drive's optical bay?

2. macrumors newbie

Did you install samsung 840 in your Macbook?

Is the negotiated link speed 1.5Gb or 3.0?

Thanks in advance.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

The 830, because I have read in various reviews its better than the 840. I know, it sounds strange, but look it up.

The negotiated speed is 3.0.

4. macrumors regular

In such an older machine you won't feel any difference in usage between 840 and 830, just go for the cheaper drive.

5. macrumors newbie

The problem is that not every ssd works well with this macbook. 840 is cheaper but I have not found any results about this ssd on this macbook.

6. macrumors regular

Bump! I'm also looking to add an SSD to this same machine. Which Samsung is the best? 830/840? Is anything else needed? Is there a certain model I would need to get? Thanks!

7. macrumors member

i was paging through reviews of the 840 on newegg and noticed that someone said that the SATAII connection cannot negotiate well with this drive, so OS X cannot format/write it over the SATAII connection. this person was using a late2011 macbook where the main interface is SATAIII but the superdrive interface is SATAII.... so i am wondering, just how well would a SATAIII SSD work in a late2008. i am thinking of making the same upgrade

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I can't speak for the 840, but my late2008 provides full SATAII support for a SATAIII SSD.

9. macrumors member

can you please let me know if your machine has the same Nvidia MCP79 controller as mine? i came across this:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/32926

not sure if this is for the intel SSDs only

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it is the same.

11. macrumors member

guess ill be going with the 830
    128GB for $115 on amazon thru a 3rd party retailer

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454120&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

and here is something from page 115 of that thread

12. macrumors member

one more thing OP... for the 830, did it fit right into the HDD bay of the macbook, or did you need to get some sort of mount? anandtech mentions that the drive is 7mm and is too small for 9.5mm enclosures?

13. thread starter macrumors regular

The 256gb is just a little more expensive... I think you'll regret buying only a 128gb after some time.

And yes, I bought an enclosure off eBay for about $10 from Hong Kong.

14. macrumors member

just to be sure... is the enclosure for the HDD bay, or are you talking about the optical drive enclosure

15. thread starter macrumors regular

My bad. Yes, it does fit perfectly in the HDD bay, but I bought an enclosure for the optical bay.

16. macrumors member

thanks

and lastly... is the SSD in the HDD slot, or did you put it in the optical bracket

17. thread starter macrumors regular

It's in the HDD slot while the HDD is in the optical bay.

18. macrumors member

then i'll pick your brain a bit further...
    any issues with temperature control of the HDD? any issues with "venting"/airflow?

if you look at the 2nd pic of this item, the poster suggests using something like gaff tape to create a bit of room between the top of the HD and the top of the keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody...9&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+5,1+optical+bracket

19. thread starter macrumors regular

No issues at all. All my heat problems originate from the CPU.

20. macrumors regular

So the best SSD for this machine is the Samsung 830? And it just pops right in?

21. macrumors 68000

Good luck finding one - they don't make them anymore.

22. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was waiting for the price to go down, thinking it would with the new one just being introduced, but since it didn't happen for a few weeks, I decided to buy it anyway. I was lucky cause quickly after it became substantially more expensive and it is now sold out pretty much everywhere.

Can't understand how they can make the 840 less capable though...

23. macrumors member

they dont, but theres still supply out there. i picked mine up from buydig for $120. yes, the 840/840 pro are around that same price, but compatibility was a factor, and in my mind the premium was worth it.

those interested, buydig has 128gb and 512 in stock. they are an authorized samsung retailer.

24. macrumors 68000

It's a 'value' drive but it's still good. They have the 840 Pro as well.

If you didn't buy on Black Friday you probably missed out. I was looking for an SSD earlier and the deals are few and far between and all the 'old' drives aren't in stock anymore.

25. macrumors regular

ok then, what would you suggest?