Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Basilomnor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Oxford, UK
Hi all,

I'm coming out of hospital shortly and want to upgrade my iPad (currently have a1458 model). Am terminally ill and will want to take this with me everywhere for keeping records, photos etc. Looking at iPad Pro 9.7" prob with 4g plan.
I want to be able to download maybe the odd movie or so (uk Sky go) photos etc. So I'm looking for local storage facilities. I have Dropbox for storage purposes of EVERYTHING data wise. I have apple drive off at the moment. So what gets stored in the 128/256 'bit of the iPad? Money is not a consideration.

Thanks
Basil

Basilomnor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Oxford, UK
Thanks, AmazingKerem,

Would appreciate a bit more info as to why and what gets stored there. Which one do I buy?

Basil

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
What gets stored on your iPad depends on what you want to store on your iPad.

1. Apps
2. Music (if you don't have a streaming plan)
3. Videos
4. Photos (if you don't have them on cloud storage)
5. App Data

I think that pretty much covers it.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
If money is not a consideration, then get bigger storage. The bigger the better. I have a 128 that isn't full yet, but might as well go big. Good luck to ya mate!

Reactions: Newtons Apple

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If money is not a consideration the 512GB should cover anything you throw at it. Lots of movies, images and apps.
It's always possible to use more storage. I've got a 12TB file server that I'm decommisioning to replace with a 32TB one (expandable to 144TB at current HDD densities). :p

That said, 128GB is a pretty good size for the iPad even with plenty of apps and the odd movie or two. Of course, 256GB is better.

Disclaimer: I have a 256GB iPad, ~120GB of which is currently used by manga (Japanese comics) and core apps. The remainder I have available for videos. I don't store photos on my iPad. I use my iPhone for that.

Reactions: melman101

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's always possible to use more storage. I've got a 12TB file server that I'm decommisioning to replace with a 32TB one (expandable to 144TB at current HDD densities). :p

That said, 128GB is a pretty good size for the iPad even with plenty of apps and the odd movie or two. Of course, 256GB is better.

Disclaimer: I have a 256GB iPad, ~120GB of which is currently used by manga (Japanese comics) and core apps. The remainder I have available for videos. I don't store photos on my iPad. I use my iPhone for that.

The OP DID say that money was not a consideration. Both my iPad Pros are 256GB. Between my music and images, I made the right choice for me.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you are only going to store a movie or two and a moderate amount of pictures locally then the 128GB should be fine. However, if you are going to store several movies, takes lots of pics and videos and keep that on the iPad then certainly the 256.

Personally, I only use cloud services for pics and contacts--and that's only for backup/syncing purposes. I don't trust them for anything else so I got the 256 for myself. I had purchased some video content from Apple at one point expecting to be able to easily download/stream it later only to find that it was removed from their catalog. I finally did get it back, but it took a lot of effort.

Sorry to hear about medical condition btw. I wish you the best.

stevey69

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
@Basilomnor Sorry to hear about your illness. Stay strong and never lose hope. Miracles happen in the world of medicine at anytime, anywhere, anyhow. I am firm believer in this and have seen miracles happen on a daily basis.

Regarding decision between 128gb vs 256gb a mere difference of $100 is not going to break your bank especially if you are already spending a hefty amount of $$, its better to have extra storage than not. Considering iPP 9.7 shoots 4K video, I would strong suggest you get the 256gb. I currently own 2 256gb iPads and they both have close to 20gb left with my collection of music/videos/books that I constantly read.

In short, if you have the cash spend it by getting the top of the line model, it never hurts to have extra space but not having enough space when you need it the most is simply not worth saving $100 in my opinion.

God bless you and your family.

Steve

Reactions: rui no onna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.