25GB hidden file

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asmith3006, Feb 27, 2007.

1. asmith3006 macrumors member

Dec 5, 2006
    Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while now, and after using the iMac at work I decided I'd give it a go so bought a refurb MacBook.

So far, it's not going great. I've actually crashed it twice in two hours of using it.

I've also managed to generate a 25GB hidden file in my /Users folder called ".andrew". My username is "andrew" if that has anything to do with it. I also have filevault if that makes a difference. What is this file likely to be? Can I delete it safely?

Also, is there anyway of viewing hidden files in Finder? I had to use JDisk reporter to find the offending file :(

Apart from that I'm liking it. Everything works nicely and no major problems.

Edit: or is it a folder with a file in it? how do you tell?
  2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2006
    Ok, i am not sure what the hidden file is, but i would reccomend that you turn off filevault, if you have sensitive data on your computer, you can create a sparse encrypted disk image trough disk utilities. Filevault can fail or get courrupted, plus it encrypts stuff that is really not in any need of encryption such as music.
  3. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 5, 2006
    I really want to keep the filevault on though. I've had a mate lose his laptop and it was a nightmare, he didn't know which passwords were saved on there so he just had to change them all. Took him ages.

I wont store music in there (I did, but then deleted them, I wonder if that could be my huge file?) I'll put all of that kind of stuff elsewhere.

Is filevault more likely to corrupt than the other think you mentioned?
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    I would definitely discourage against using FileVault. If you really feel the need to protect your data like that, I'd go with either the sparse encrypted disk image as mentioned above, or just enabling an EFI password, such that a thief would have a harder time circumventing your administrator access. My $0.02.

If you're worried about your passwords, the Keychain Manager encrypts all of the pertinent passwords, and they can only be accessed with the administrator password.
  5. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 5, 2006
    How do I enable an EFI password then? And would that be asked for whenever I come out of sleep mode or only when starting from off?
  6. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2005
    As long as your user password is strong, your passwords are safe with keychain

PS. I would not step near file vault ever, do what the others suggest and if your really concerned there is some drastic methods that can be taken to ensure your laptop doesnt survive a theft. Just PM me for them ;)
  7. asmith3006 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 5, 2006
    Ok, so I've made a protected disk volume thing and I've turned off file vault. Now, how do I move my thunderbird profile into there?