Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
This word has been around for a couple of years. I first heard it from a pair of siblings.

From Urban Dictionary:
Frienemies

a blurred friendship; a friend and a rival or enemy​
Do you have any frienemies?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It doesn't mean a former friend who became an enemy. It's for somebody you are both friends and enemies with at the same time (maybe inexplicably), or when that status is constantly changing back and forth. A buddy/rival.

Siblings are good examples, but maybe somebody can suggest a well-known pair of frienemies as another example.

mlw1235

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2004
Milwaukee, WI
My roommate is one of my frienemies.

He can be really annoying one minute, and then the next be awesome. It's like he's bipolar...but not.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
My roommate is one of my frienemies.

He can be really annoying one minute, and then the next be awesome. It's like he's bipolar...but not.
Unless he seems different from one minute to the next because you change!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No, but I have a couple of Enemiends:p
I love those! Chocolate or peanut?

For me? No frienemies. No enemies that I know of, actually. Any more. Man, there was a lot of digging involved to get rid of those. Let me tell you: six feet deep is a long way down when you're digging in cold weather.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
No, but I have a couple of Enemiends:p

And luv the 'tar you are using now. If it from an original photo of yours from Japan?
It wasn't easy to give you a reply. I've been saving that image for months, to use as a 'tar sometime, and I forgot where it came from!

I remember cropping it and turning it into a Q, but not which garden (or mini garden) it is. I've visited Japanese gardens here in California as well as in Japan, so I looked through a bunch of photo albums, but don't see it. I conclude that it's "borrowed" from a website about Japanese gardens, although I didn't spot which one!

IIRC, you are in Japan, and apparently you don't recognize it either.

Since my avatar will change again at some point, here's a copy of it, so these posts will make sense later.

Attachments

• Qapanese.jpg
    Qapanese.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 312
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.