Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gene S

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I have the 27" 2012 iMac with 768GB SSD. I've read that the SSD is a blade, meaning I should have a free SATA port in there somewhere. Shouldn't I be able to add a standard 2.5 SSD drive? I'm thinking a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro.

I seriously doubt I would do it myself. I've read you can take it to an authorized Apple repair store to get aftermarket drives installed without voiding the warranty. (Excluding the addition.)

I do not want an external drive. I bought an all-in-one, I'd rather like to keep it that way. :)

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
Can't see why not.

How ever I haven't seen any body that got the blade ssd only crack open the machine so can't confirm if the sata cables are sitting there for the second drive. or the brackets to hold the hdd in place.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
If you're going to open it up anyway, why on earth pay the crazy Apple SSD premium in the first place?!

But yes, that'd work.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Well if he wants two SSD's he'd still need the Apple one :p.

There will be a spare SATA port on the back of the MLB - the cables from a Mid 2011 iMac should work (then again, so should any SATA cable - they're generic connectors).

You won't have the mountings for a second SSD, but velcro sorts that out! :)

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
No. 256.

There's some 768s available at around £600 though. And 512s for about £360 iirc.

fpdesign

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Italy
I installed a blade type SSD myself. I currently have two SSDs in my imac.

Sorry can explain how to ?

Is the last 2012 imac bto with ssd or the basic model with hd?
What cable have you used?

Which brand is the ssd?

What about trim enabler?

i have see this picture

http://threedevices.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/inside-imac.jpg

This ssd work inside the imac in the blade slot?
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Air_2012
Or is better buy the iMac with SSD and put another SSD or HD in the HD place?

Last edited:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
No, that's a Macbook Air SSD. The imac uses the same type as found in the retina Macbook Pro. Search ebay for "retina MacBook ssd". Also, I'm not a fan of OWC's blade SSDs at all to be honest but that's another story.

I bought the new iMac 27" (top model but with only the 1TB hdd). I didn't need a cable as the 2.5" SSD simply replaced the stock HDD. The 'blade type' SSD plugs straight into a slot on the logic board.

Have a look through the thread titled "Rip those iMacs open".

Last edited:

Will/\

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2012
No, that's a Macbook Air SSD. The imac uses the same type as found in the retina Macbook Pro. Search ebay for "retina MacBook ssd". Also, I'm not a fan of OWC's blade SSDs at all to be honest but that's another story.

I bought the new iMac 27" (top model but with only the 1TB hdd). I didn't need a cable as the 2.5" SSD simply replaced the stock HDD. The 'blade type' SSD plugs straight into a slot on the logic board.

Have a look through the thread titled "Rip those iMacs open".

Hi,

I was wondering about doing this. Does this mean that if you order the 1TB late 2012 27" iMac, it is fitted with a blade sad connector at the back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.