27" iMac 2012 - Fan and HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Will/\, Feb 8, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi! Everything was going great when I first got my iMac until two/three weeks back. When I got it my iMac was fine no noises at all. Completely silent. Now al of a sudden my iMac makes a grumbling noise sounds like HDD and also the fans are running constantly now.

I am going to ring up Apple support tomorrow and ask for some advice as haven't had a chance yet and I just thought I would ask around here for some help and advice first.

Thanks,

Will

2. macrumors 68000

Reset the SMC 2-3x in a row and see if that helps the fan issue.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I've tried resetting smc but no luck

4. thread starter macrumors member

OK so, spoke to Apple and they said to take to store. Any advice before I reserve?

5. macrumors newbie

Did you migrate from another mac? I migrated from an old macbook that had overheating issues. So I installed smcfan on it, and I had those fans turned WAY up. Those settings migrated over and took affect the first time I rebooted(I just wanted to see how fast it could!) Scared the hell out of me til I figured out it took over and changed the settings (And ultimately uninstalled it)

6. thread starter macrumors member

No I didn't, it's my first mac so slightly annoyed because I have waited six months for the upgraded model only for it to make a noise. Ahh well might take it in for service next weekend.

7. macrumors 6502

My hard drive and fan are audible to extent if i don't have music or videos or tv playing. I figured I would just deal since i know the fans are working haha. It does bother my ocd a bit but when you bring it to the apple store i figured they would think I was nuts since you won't be able to hear it in that store. Let me know what they say if you could be so kind.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thats exactly what I was thinking and probably what mine sounds like as well.
    Just went back to my iMac after being on sleep for 6 hours and fans were running while asleep. Getting to be annoying.

9. macrumors 6502

I find that having my ipad plugged in will wake my macs fans every now and then.