27" iMac - Speed of the 1TB HD in the Fusion drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CoreyLahey, Nov 30, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Does anybody know, whether the Fusion Drive's HD part runs at 7,200 rpm in the 27 iMac?

Thank you

2. macrumors member

wdowell

Doubt it. After all from what I understand. most the time the data comes off the 'ssd' bit anyway.

3. macrumors member

burninggarlic

4. macrumors regular

I think it's safe to assume that it is, in fact, 7200rpm. The specs list the non-Fusion HDs as 7200rpm. I seriously doubt they'd pull a switcheroo and use different, slower drives for the Fusion options, given that the upgrade cost to Fusion is the same $250 as it is for all the 21" iMac and Mac mini configurations for which it's available.

Another reason: the reason Mac mini and 21" iMac use 5400rpm drives is because they're using 2.5" laptop drives in those. The 27" is using 3.5" drives (the existence of a 3 TB option proves this) and with 3.5" drives there's no real cost saving in using a 5400rpm.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was just wondering because of bootcamp, where the SSD of the Fusion doesn't work.

----------

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer the question, or did I miss something in the video?

----------

Thank you, sounds very reasonable, hope you're right for the sake of Bootcamp.

6. macrumors regular

iLondoner

Fusion is effectively an SSD bolt-on to an existing 1TB drive (5400rpm in the 21-in, 7200 rpm in the 27-in) or 3TB drive.

So yes, the HDD component of the Fusion setup would run at 7200 rpm in the 27-in systems.