Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

califlorida

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
First off - First post - Mac user for years from original Macintosh to now. Audio Production is my business, and think the new iMac will serve my studio correctly.

Was one of the first online ordering when iMac's went live last week. Ordered 27"/3.4i7/1TBFusion/680 Eastern Time Zone USA order was processed at 3:12 AM local time. Shipping expedited and got a Dec 21-28 date.

I called Apple today to see if I could expedite shipping further. I asked that since I was in on the first 15 minutes of orders, why wasn't I in the first block of shipping times? (Dec 18-Dec 24).

The girl was very helpful and after some intense computer work, she stated that she escalated my shipment to a rush, and without even asking told me she was waiving all shipping charges. She stated that this in one of the first shipments coming directly out of China. The waived charges was a much appreciated surprise that I wasn't looking for. I was just looking for some insight. I even told her she didn't have to, and that I'd gladly pay a bit extra if she could guarantee it by Dec 18.

Before hanging up I wanted to dig a little bit so we started talking -
Since this is the first shipment out of China, I assume that small BTO requests such a simple RAM upgrades are shipping from US depot's and possibly got the 12/18-12/24 shipping time. She said she couldn't confirm but pretty accurate, and went on to talk about full custom builds coming from overseas and to be on a ship within the next 7-10 days.

So here's the fun part: I told her that I've received many products from Apple in the past earlier than the shipping date, and asked her what she thought the chance percentage was in this case. She responded that thousands of customers have had orders cancelled due to unauthorized credit cards, unverifiable addresses, and simple changing/cancelling of orders. She said she had personally been inundated with calls over the weekend. She stated that all of those orders are being wiped off the computers as a priority. Each time one is cancelled everybody else is moving up in the shipping schedule towards the front of the line. She said she would pretty much bank on me receiving it early, and went as far to say possibly a week. She also pretty much hinted that base models should arrive in stores between the 18th-20th, and orders should start arriving to homes just before that... but of course couldn't 100% guarantee or confirm due to policy.

I hung up happy knowing Apple's wonderful customer service gave me something they didn't have to (Free Expedited Shipping), and boosted my hopes for getting this thing sooner rather than later. :D:apple:

Just thought I'd share, as I'm sure some have had same experiences, or have been wondering themselves.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
Interesting speculation. I'm a little skeptical of her factual knowledge on the matter since Apple's CSR's are only told what they need to know, nothing more. However, her guesses seem to be based on her past experience which is valuable information.

Sounds credible.

As others have pointed out, Apple has a history of under promising and over delivering on... well... deliveries!

Good job, thanks for the info.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Oh gosh! I sure hope that they dont cancel my order due to me using my Credit Card outside the US . . .

Ive had that happen a few times before because my IP address was not within the US but my Card is a US card.

I hope that doesnt delay my 27" BTO. I might give them a call . . .

T'would be EPIC if I got it earlier than the projected dates.

urbsoc

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
27" iMacs arriving early

Thanks for the info! I ordered mine at 3.04 EST on Nov 30th and got a 21-28 Dec shipping date for my 27" 3.4i7 16gRAM 768gSSD 680GPU. I assume from what you report that this would be assembled in China. Still hoping I get it by the 25th. :)

Got to check out the 21.5" in the Apple Store today. It's not the just the inside that is totally new. They really are thin. The so-called bulge is very modest. It's like handling the lid of a Macbook.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I ordered min about 5 minutes after they went live. Pretty much only used the time I needed to set up the order :D I hope I´ll get it quickly.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
My order was finalized at 12:10am Pacific Time, once I finished ordering. i7, 1TB Fusion and 680mx are my upgrades. Hoping to get it before I start my 7 day work week on the 26th, otherwise I won't get in any sleep that week!

ankehuber

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
I hope you're right, I keep checking my account every few hours in the hope the date changes, but when you say " she was waiving all shipping charges" it seems odd as Apple has free delivery. This is in the UK though, is this not the case in the US?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
My order was finalized at 12:10am Pacific Time, once I finished ordering. i7, 1TB Fusion and 680mx are my upgrades. Hoping to get it before I start my 7 day work week on the 26th, otherwise I won't get in any sleep that week!

I'm just curious what is your delivery date from when to when?

I ordered about 12:25 and mine is Dec.21-28

califlorida

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I hope you're right, I keep checking my account every few hours in the hope the date changes, but when you say " she was waiving all shipping charges" it seems odd as Apple has free delivery. This is in the UK though, is this not the case in the US?

There was like a $30-$35 for expedited shipping that was removed from my order screen. That's what she removed, while keeping arrival date same/note in file for earlier delivery if possible.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I was able to have my expedited shipping charged waived, so I received expedited shipping free of charge. I'm hoping this may bump it up a day or two, but I realize all the iMacs will likely be shipped together over to the states in pallets before being unloaded for local delivery.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I was able to have my expedited shipping charged waived, so I received expedited shipping free of charge. I'm hoping this may bump it up a day or two, but I realize all the iMacs will likely be shipped together over to the states in pallets before being unloaded for local delivery.

The rep I spoke to said that paying the expedited shipping charge probably wouldn't affect my actual delivery date, so he removed the $30 charge. He also threw in a Magic Trackpad, which I'll have in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.