Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

172839-imac_star_trek.jpg

Apple today continues its barrage of updates with the release of a pair of firmware updates for its 27-inch iMac models addressing a trio of issues.

27-inch iMac EFI FW Update 1.0, weighing in at 2.1 MB and requiring Mac OS X 10.6.3, is recommended for all quad-core 27-inch iMacs and addresses a pair of issues related to high processor usage and display backlighting.
- Resolves an issue that sometimes caused high processor utilization while playing audio through the headphone output mini-jack.

- Resolves an issue that prevented the display backlight from turning on after powering on the iMac.
The 27-inch iMacs are not the only current Mac models to have experienced problems with processor performance during audio-related tasks, as Apple's Mac Pro line received a software update in mid-February to address its own issues with heat and performance while handling audio-related tasks.

Apple's other firmware release for the 27-inch iMac today, known as 27-inch iMac SMC Firmware Update 1.0, makes unspecified compatibility fixes to Target Display Mode. The feature, currently available only on 27-inch iMacs, allows the machine to be used as a secondary display via its Mini DisplayPort connector. The update weighs in at 397 KB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.3 and the 27-inch iMac EFI Update 1.0 also released today.

Article Link: 27-Inch iMac Firmware Updates Address High Processor Usage, Display Backlight, and Target Display Mode Issues

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Interesting, that the update requires 10.6.3. What happens when people have to reinstall their OS, they obviously shipped with 10.6.1 or 10.6.2

I know I have issues with an old G5 at work, that I have to reinstall the original GeForce FX 5200 when I want to installa fresh copy of Leopard, otherwise the installer doesn't even boot with the Radeon 9600 Mac Edition.

smogsy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
Well well well Apple How could you not learn from Your Mac Pro Audio Mistake & let it happen Again on the Imac?

- Resolves an issue that sometimes caused high processor utilization while playing audio through the headphone output mini-jack.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
I got hit by the processor utilization with headphones in the headphone jack. It only happened in boot camp under windows not OS X. I had a work around by using a $10 USB Audio card to plug in my headphone when I boot into Windows. I'm glad this problem is fixed.

Hopefully next they will fix the color banding issue with the 4850 video card drivers under Windows 7.

I love my i7 iMac.

min_t

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
City by the City by the Bay
wonders if this was the cause of my iMac cpu fan going turbo mode after 30 minutes on hulu...or was it flash. I use the audio optical out to my receiver:confused:

Guess I'll find out after the update.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
What is this, update release week for Apple?
first new MBP, then a plethora of OS Security update, MBP update, Imac update..

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I got hit by the processor utilization with headphones in the headphone jack. It only happened in boot camp under windows not OS X. I had a work around by using a $10 USB Audio card to plug in my headphone when I boot into Windows. I'm glad this problem is fixed.

Hopefully next they will fix the color banding issue with the 4850 video card drivers under Windows 7.

I love my i7 iMac.

Thats actaully been linked to dodgy memory speed controlling under windows.

There are fixes on the net, have a look.

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Ask ATI about that one ;)
It is definitely an ATI problem. IF the same problem existed in OS X, Apple would have either hounded ATI until it was fixed, or rewrote the driver to get the problem fixed. Since it is a bug in the Windows driver, written by ATI, and packaged by Apple it just sits around for months and might be fixed.

PaulSorensen

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Just applied the two updates. Am I supposed to notice anything different on my lovely 27" iMac?

ps. yes, I read the update notes...just kidding

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Thats actaully been linked to dodgy memory speed controlling under windows.

There are fixes on the net, have a look.
Which one, the headphone or banding? I've looked extensively on the net for fixes for both with no luck. Do you have a link?

I have read that you can go to an older ATI driver to get rid of the banding but it introduces a host of other problems like tearing. ATI removed one bug (tearing) and replaced it with another (banding). I'd rather live with banding then tearing. I'm not in Windows all that often anyways.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Which one, the headphone or banding? I've looked extensively on the net for fixes for both with no luck. Do you have a link?

I have read that you can go to an older ATI driver to get rid of the banding but it introduces a host of other problems like tearing. ATI removed one bug (tearing) and replaced it with another (banding). I'd rather live with banding then tearing. I'm not in Windows all that often anyways.

I'm not quite sure, do the drivers for Apple products on windows have ATi Catalyst and ATi Overdrive? (Overdrive is inside catalyst)

Just PM me tho.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
And Apple continues to be on top of the game with the best desktops on Earth; congrats, SJ! :)

By the way, this iPad keyboard is awesome! First msg ever on MR..! :)

I'm jealous. ;)

Can't wait until it arrives in Canada. I'm looking forward to using iWork on it.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Are the screens still yellow though?

This iMac model has seen its share of firmware updates. My guess is it's not the last.

I bought an iMac a few weeks ago a 27inch model i5 quad core and have had no yellow tinge problems or any other issues to report. So I would say Apple has handled most of these problems.

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
Interesting, that the update requires 10.6.3. What happens when people have to reinstall their OS, they obviously shipped with 10.6.1 or 10.6.2

It probably just requires 10.6.3 to install, not to run.

However, this is a good reason to buy a backup drive so you can restore the system, as opposed to going with a fresh install (although freshening it for sale may not be possible).

Why not try it and let us know?

As for me, I'm backing up my system now. I use the headphone port to drive my ancient M$ speakers with subwoofer, but I've not had any issues.

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!

This update scared the hell out of me!!

When rebooting after the update it made the BIP sound (i suppose like everyone else) and the only experience i had with this kind of sound was in a iMac G3 when installing incompatible memory. Jeeeezzzzz.

BTW, is it me or the monitor looks a little bit more bright / better looking / uniform white???

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I bought an iMac a few weeks ago a 27inch model i5 quad core and have had no yellow tinge problems or any other issues to report. So I would say Apple has handled most of these problems.

Yes, your experience is representative of everyone, of course. :rolleyes:

The yellow tint will never be resolved, but less people will complain as time goes by.

invisionblue

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
HOLLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!

This update scared the hell out of me!!

When rebooting after the update it made the BIP sound (i suppose like everyone else) and the only experience i had with this kind of sound was in a iMac G3 when installing incompatible memory. Jeeeezzzzz.

BTW, is it me or the monitor looks a little bit more bright / better looking / uniform white???

Same here with the loud noise, I was sitting and waiting for it to boot up and then BEEEEP scared me lol.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
After I installed these updates my cat walked by the back of the i7 and was electrocuted by electricity jumping out of the USB ports. Terrible update.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

Would agree with William G there. You're basically saying "My iMac is alright so Apple has obviously sorted everything out" - a somewhat presumptuous and arrogant analysis of these ongoing issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.