Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
I love that setup, shootingstar. Now, my issue is that I have my USB ipod dock, eyetv tuner and an external harddrive all hooked up to my mac mini. If I replace my mini with a MBA, do I just need to get an USB hub?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The 24" LED ACD pops up in the refurb section several times per month for $599. The 27" ACD is $849 there. I highly recommend refurbished. In addition, I personally don't see much added value in going from 24" to 27."

For some people the 27" ACD makes more sense. But to someone who writes, like me, the 24" ACD is plenty capable and a bargain at $599. That is a $250 savings that could be invested until the next big Apple purchase is desired. I upgraded three 24" ACDs to three 27" ACDs, and I felt it was such little gain for the money. Both have the same web cam, power for MBA, USB hub, and speakers. The size is definitely not worth upgrading from a 24" LED ACD, but it would be worth upgrading from a 23" ACD for LED backlighting, webcam, power, and speakers.

Either the 24" or 27" LED ACD makes for an instant docking station transforming an MBA to a desktop, instantly.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The 24" LED ACD pops up in the refurb section several times per month for $599. The 27" ACD is $849 there. I highly recommend refurbished. In addition, I personally don't see much added value in going from 24" to 27."

For some people the 27" ACD makes more sense. But to someone who writes, like me, the 24" ACD is plenty capable and a bargain at $599. That is a $250 savings that could be invested until the next big Apple purchase is desired. I upgraded three 24" ACDs to three 27" ACDs, and I felt it was such little gain for the money. Both have the same web cam, power for MBA, USB hub, and speakers. The size is definitely not worth upgrading from a 24" LED ACD, but it would be worth upgrading from a 23" ACD for LED backlighting, webcam, power, and speakers.

Either the 24" or 27" LED ACD makes for an instant docking station transforming an MBA to a desktop, instantly.

I always thought the 24" ACD was limited to 1080p resolution (1920X1080). Am I mistaken?

The larger displays are 2560X1600 or 2560X1440, which is about double the resolution if in fact the 24" is only 1080p. If so... then for my usage... it is a huge difference.

/Jim

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I always thought the 24" ACD was limited to 1080p resolution (1920X1080). Am I mistaken?

The larger displays are 2560X1600 or 2560X1440, which is about double the resolution if in fact the 24" is only 1080p. If so... then for my usage... it is a huge difference.

/Jim

24" - 1920x1200
27" - 2560x1440

It's up to one's usage. For writing, 27" may not offer much but in e.g. photo editing, you will love every extra pixel you can get.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
24" - 1920x1200
27" - 2560x1440

It's up to one's usage. For writing, 27" may not offer much but in e.g. photo editing, you will love every extra pixel you can get.

I have a 24" Dell @ 1920x1200 (94 PPI)hooked up at one of my work locations in the States, looks like **** compared to the crispness of the 13" MBA (127PPI).

The 27" is slightly better (108 PPI).

Ideally I'd get a 24" at the resolution of the 27" (122 PPI). That would help a lot. but those screens are not being made.

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
I love that setup, shootingstar. Now, my issue is that I have my USB ipod dock, eyetv tuner and an external harddrive all hooked up to my mac mini. If I replace my mini with a MBA, do I just need to get an USB hub?

thx karatekidk,.... if you plan to buy the 27" acd as well, you might come by with the 3 usb ports provided by the display itself?

i like my desk as uncluttered as it gets,... so i have a "BackPack" (http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/) attached to my display. on that thing i placed a 1TB external harddrive which can´t be seen in my pictures :D

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
So you guys are happy with the super-small fonts and UI elements? I have connected a 30in Dell, and even there I find myself getting uncomfortable as soon as I move more than 30cm away.

Until MacOS can scale its UI, I would recommend as little resolution (but of course as many pixels) as possible.

If someone is shopping for a new display, I would probably recommend a last generation, non Apple 27in. The lower resolution can also be driven without the clunky dual DVI adaptor.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I don't get why they don't offer more sizes. ONE apple display? Isn't Apple a little too big to offer one monitor? At least offer 24, 27 and 30" choices with the same technology.

Why did they drop the 24" LED???? It was the same monitor just smaller right?

hsl

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006

Not entirely, the screen ratio was different. but for the rest, yeah about the same.

but 27" seems like a big monitor, if you're working with it for a few month it isn't anymore. But that's life with computers you always get used to speed and screensize :)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

I guess it was due to the price. 24" was what, 899$? That is only 100$ less than the current 27". Apple would have had to drop the price of the 24" quite significantly to make it competitive against its new big brother. Apple doesn't usually do that, lower price means less profit.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
599 is perfect...I'll check the store for the refurb 24 ACD when is the last time anyone saw one on the refurb store?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
24" - 1920x1200
27" - 2560x1440

I actually like the extra width for writing especially if I am researching at the same time. With 2560 pixels across, I can easily have two documents (or a doc plus website) side by side.

/Jim

Yakob

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
599 is perfect...I'll check the store for the refurb 24 ACD when is the last time anyone saw one on the refurb store?

Don't know about recently but i bought mine about a year ago... had to stock the refreb store everyday for about a week until one showed up... awsome deal in my opinion for a 24" 16x10 H-IPS monitor. It's been awesome so far, has the same warranty as new except that if there is a problem you have to wait for a replacement, if you had bought a new one they would just hand you a brand new one off the shelf if you had any problems.

Be patient... you wont regret it. ;)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Actually, the price was dropped on the 24" to $799.

Yes, they have different ratios. The 24" is/was Apple's then common 16:10 while the 27" is 16:9. To me it looks a little "off" just like the 11" MBA looks off.

The 24" does have better resolution than 1080p, but a lot of people need to not make such a deal of all of the numbers. The 24" is stunning, as. It's IPS and offers all of the same features as was carried over to the 27" ACD. Yes, as someone pointed out we all have different uses. However, for anyone who is a non-graphics pro the 24" is gigantic.

With my desk space and distance the ACDs sit from my eyes, the 27" is too close. I find myself actually turning my neck to see parts of the screen, and that's not ideal. The 24" ACD is in the refurb section a few days per month. Usually they show up in the mornings and are gone by afternoon. You need to look daily if you want to buy one. The 27" also shows up there for $849.

Whichever route you go, 24" or 27", I recommend saving the money and getting refurbished ACDs. The savings is great, and it's the same as new. If you read about what refurbished is, Apple states that anything that has been "used" gets new "case" aluminum parts. That is one reason why they look new.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I'm constantly adjusting font sizes on my 27" iMac because of the very high resolution. I'll probably find a 24" for my 13" MBA. Too bad Apple doesn't still make them.

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I find it incredible a company like Apple offers ONE display in ONE size....thats kind of nuts. At least back couple years ago it was 20, 24, 30" ACD sizes...why the heck can't they do that now?

shootingstar64

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Monterey, CA
i am not a fanboy, but i think display-wise apple is doing it completly right!

as a previos owner of several apple made displays, including 20" or 30" ACD´s and the 24" LED ACD the new 27" hands down is the best display i have ever owned.

the ascpect ratio of 16:9 makes it a lot more convinient to have let´s say one browser window open for research and another next to it for coding, writing or whatever your heart delights ;) if you have some server volumes mounted on your desktop like i do there is also some room left for those.

also keep in mind apple is NOT a computer company anymore,..... they are kind of a media business and selling tools to consume content which is offered by the very same company!

think movies and tv shows from itunes,... every modern tv set comes with a 16:9 aspect ratio and there is a reason for that!

ever tried watching a movie like "avatar" on an old fashioned 4:3 AR tv?

sizewise inmho 27" is the only way to go,.... and believe it or not within a couple of days most of you would become so acustomed to this size, you never will go back!

not that i want to compare a tv in the living room with a monitor sitting on an office desk, but compared to our 50" plasma tv the 27" is tiny :D

when we first got that 50" installed in our home, we simply have been overwhelmed by its size,.... starring on a shut-off jet-black screen was intimidating and like sitting in front of an upcoming storm front,.... but if i would do it again, i might opt for an even bigger screen! movies are so much more fun to watch on monsters like this,.... :D

no kidding, but within a couple weeks of using the 27" acd, it virtually shrinks in front of your eyes,.... ;)

just my 2cents

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
i am not a fanboy, but i think display-wise apple is doing it completly right!

as a previos owner of several apple made displays, including 20" or 30" ACD´s and the 24" LED ACD the new 27" hands down is the best display i have ever owned.

the ascpect ratio of 16:9 makes it a lot more convinient to have let´s say one browser window open for research and another next to it for coding, writing or whatever your heart delights ;) if you have some server volumes mounted on your desktop like i do there is also some room left for those.

also keep in mind apple is NOT a computer company anymore,..... they are kind of a media business and selling tools to consume content which is offered by the very same company!

think movies and tv shows from itunes,... every modern tv set comes with a 16:9 aspect ratio and there is a reason for that!

ever tried watching a movie like "avatar" on an old fashioned 4:3 AR tv?

sizewise inmho 27" is the only way to go,.... and believe it or not within a couple of days most of you would become so acustomed to this size, you never will go back!

not that i want to compare a tv in the living room with a monitor sitting on an office desk, but compared to our 50" plasma tv the 27" is tiny :D

when we first got that 50" installed in our home, we simply have been overwhelmed by its size,.... starring on a shut-off jet-black screen was intimidating and like sitting in front of an upcoming storm front,.... but if i would do it again, i might opt for an even bigger screen! movies are so much more fun to watch on monsters like this,.... :D

no kidding, but within a couple weeks of using the 27" acd, it virtually shrinks in front of your eyes,.... ;)

just my 2cents

AGREED.. 27 for me is now just .. normal. So weird, I remember seeing them in the store and thinking.. good god thats big.

Also big ups to:
QuarterSwede for the compass stand inspiration for my air. I have two on the way from ebay! $15 each too!

zinka

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2009
Just got the LED Cinema Display; I've been using it with my MBA. Today I got a kernel panic ("you have to shut down your computer now") while playing a video in QT Player and simultaneously scrolling in Google Maps. Yikes. Has anyone else had kernel panics with the monitor?

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Thats a great idea. Gotta run to the Apple store tomorrow and get one of those stands. I was waiting on Twelve South to come up with a MBA insert for their laptop stand but oh well.

Meanwhile i came up with this little nifty idea:

web.jpg

web.jpg

The "Compass" stand i am using is a leftover from my iPad,... tell me what you think,...

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
The monitor cannot cause a kernel panic.

Just got the LED Cinema Display; I've been using it with my MBA. Today I got a kernel panic ("you have to shut down your computer now") while playing a video in QT Player and simultaneously scrolling in Google Maps. Yikes. Has anyone else had kernel panics with the monitor?

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
One of the first things Jobs did when he came back to Apple was get rid of the multitude of models of everything they were selling. Fewer products mean its easier to get components and ensure availability.

I find it incredible a company like Apple offers ONE display in ONE size....thats kind of nuts. At least back couple years ago it was 20, 24, 30" ACD sizes...why the heck can't they do that now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.