$27 Million Reward goes to Militant 'Foot Soldier'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wow, and that's gutsy - asking another 2 million to move his family on top of the 25 million of the reward.....this guy is way to greedy and I can't imagine it being the best use of US Dollars. If they want to give me $1.5 million, I'll move too :rolleyes:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/12/shaikh.reward/index.html

2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Re: $27 Million Reward goes to Militant 'Foot Soldier'

Hey ya gotta hand it to him, he worked the system... even though that is a hell of alot of money, i wish i knew where Osama was, id be rich...

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, if you think about it, here's this guy who was an al Qaeda foot soldier, a grunt. Went to war and if he saw any action, well, we all know he was on the wrong side. Now he has to go back home to Egypt and work. The US comes along and dangles a fortune in front of him - ha, and they make good on the deal? Well, it will only further entice other to follow.

Now lets see if 'something' happens to him and his familly when he gets to England. I'm sure some fanatics won't be too happy on what transpired. Selling out is still selling out. He might just need that money to stay safe.

D

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    lets just hope this money goes to good use.

i can't help but think it may find its way into a terrorist's hands.

5. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Yeah, I'm sure he's dying to set up a meeting with the followers of the leader he turned in...

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

or the followers are probably looking to make a 'killing' on all the money he got....

As for what he's going to use it for? Who knows - if he can ask for a 2 million moving allowance and get it, well, his greed might land him into a heep of trouble. Hopefully he doesn't go nuts and just stays low key - but I'm guessing as a foot soldier he's not exactly the sharpest here. He'll do something stupid and end up losing it if he's not careful.

D

7. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Re: $27 Million Reward goes to Militant 'Foot Soldier'

Me too. Hopefully, it's tax-free. :D

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Cheap at the Price

Two million doesn't get you much round here. He obviously hasn't been reading the London Property Pages!

9. conceptdev macrumors regular

We should all hope that he leads a fantasticl & happy life in England and is never found or harmed - but that his old friends know how bloody happy he is.

Its the same principle as the witness protection program except on steriods. If it continues to work then fine - and I am sure $25 million is less than is spent per week looking for just one of these head alqaeda guys.

10. macfan macrumors member

11. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

What a greedy b@st@rd! I'd shut your mouth before they give you nothing!

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Good thing he is moving, i bet he has a ton of men homing in on him to kill him, especially living in Egypt.

iJon

13. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

You don't think our government already thought of that? You think they're gonna write a big ol' fat check and say, "Here you go pal...don't spend it all on one jihad!"

I don't know the intimate details, but I'm sure he's getting it in incremental payments over his lifetime....with some big fat caveats. Like if we find out he's supporting terrorism with the money, he loses the money and his freedom. And don't think those payments won't come with an annual audit.

And to re-state the obvious:

We could also let him live the good life for a while and then secretly hire (or tip off) some folks to get rid of him and make it all look like a contract hit. Or a horrific car wreck.

The problem with that plan is that everyone would point their finger at us for letting it happen. Which in turn would discourage other folks to do the same. It doesn't hurt to let the guy be the poster child for this program.

But who knows? Maybe he'll move to quietly to Arizona, start his own construction firm, make a reasonable contribution to society and then start a massive ecstasy ring for the local college kids.