27% of the original Core Duo laptops were repaired by Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EricChunky, Dec 29, 2006.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks2.html
    http://www.appledefects.com/?p=202

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

wow interesting stats, thanks for the research!

3. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

Interesting. What would be better is if we could see official stats from Apple (which won't happen). ;)

4. rstorm macrumors regular

V1's usually are problematic. No surprise here.

5. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I believe the numbers, but I'm suprised that macbook staining didn't come up as often as logic board replacement.

My MB has been getting worse and worse staining for the last few months now, but I just can't be without it for a week... :(

6. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Those are rather disturbing stats. I wonder if this is isolated to the MB and MBPs or has this been the case for previous first generation notebooks?

I must say I've had little to no issues with my 12" PB or my emac, a friend has had issues with both their G5 powermac and 12" ibook.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

while interesting, this survey is meaningless if not conducted or endorsed by Apple. FWIW, i've had no issues with my CD MBP.

8. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

I was dissuaded from buying the MBP right from the get-go because I heard there might be problems with the new hardware. I guess the stats bear that out to some degree ::shrug::, but my new computer has been going strong for 3 months now, so I can't complain. :)

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

My CD MBP was absolutely fine. My C2D is almost as good, there being just little niggle with the power button. If it is not pressed purposefully it can cause the machine to only come partially on. The sleep light illuminates and nothing else happens. It is then a case of hold the button down till the light goes out and then starting firmly.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My macbook has been repaired twice. My bro's and my sis' are fine. I'm the mac lover, they're the followers...just my luck...

11. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

The problem is that those numbers are comming from battries...

Sony battries...

The same make that has caused trouble for alot of manufacturers in fact. The recent flaming-battry-of-death problem is skewing the results.

Not saying there were no issues. Just that a major one really had nothing to do with Apple or their quality control and that fact has to be taken into consideration.

What do the numbers look like for Dell, Sony, or Leveno for the same period look like?

As always there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

12. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

So you think a thirdparty / objective survey is less trust worthy than a self-surviliance Apple survey?

that's an interesting approach.

13. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

IF YOU READ the post you know it has nothing to do with batteries.

Only the part of the first generation of 15" MacBook Pro (2006 Feb - May) are supplied by SONY. and the statistics also show Motherboard replacement is the most common fault among the findings.

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

...wow... :(

Mine needs repair - haven't had the time to send it in.

15. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Was there a big change in component manufacturing here? Wait, didn't some other company become involved in the design? Could it be, could it possibly be, INTEL? A pox on me for doubting the superiority of integrated graphic chipsets and intel design.

Is there anyone else we can blame? Can't be Apple's fault...

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

People are more likely to reply to surveys if they have problems. Only Apple has the actual repair information.

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

This is unfortunately completely meaningless. The majority of people who reply to these type of things are the people who had problems. Beware statistics! I hope we don't see these 'figures' showing up as fact in other places.

18. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Apple is also a lot less likely to provide factual information that incriminates them, or release figures without "sugar coating" them first. We are talking about a corporation with stock scandals and money illegally entering Steve's pocket here, why else would that guy start to lawyer up. You genuinely think Apple is interested in *gasp* being honest?

It is all about the money. Those figures are as bad as Dell's if not worse btw.

19. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Which would mean something if they were from Apple, but they aren't.

20. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Steve Jobs is lawyering up because people like you expect him to lawyer up and think he's stupid if he doesn't, and guilty if he does. Also, he needs good counsel to make sure he doesn't go to prison...:D

Actually, I can see him wanting an independent opinion from someone other than Apple Counsel. You think they won't sugarcoat his position when they were giving legal advice when this whole mess came up? Yeah, if I was Steve, I'd want a second opinion from someone outside the Apple Core.:confused:

21. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Again, you are making the assumption here that Apple has a tangible benefit from releasing factual figures.

They don't.

22. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Mine was repaired zero times...

Glad to be in the 73% ;)

23. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No, I'm reiterating what's already been said. These figures here can't possibly be anywhere near accurate, and the only way to get accurate figures would be from Apple, whether they choose to be honest about it or not.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Really do you honestly think apple would release those figures and even if they where released by apple do you think they would not doctor them to make them look better. Right now Apple is in a lot of legal trouble because of false reports on there finacial documention.

But I would not be surpised that those figures are true and apple had one of the worse return rates in the industry. They where a laughing stock and where having worse reports than other company. Shall I point to the heat issues that dell was not having, or the over use of Thermo paste. Apple screwed up on this one and par as normal there first gen products general have lot of problems. I mean people always are saying wait until the 2nd gen for a reason. When ever apple releases a x.0 peice of software people wait until the x.1 or x.2 to trust it and use it.

25. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

^^ Completely beside the point.