Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How's it not play nice, and what extension are you using?

No extensions. I noticed some web pages not formatting correctly when zoomed. I don't know if different zooms are better than others. I was using the first one, which is 110%. It could have something to do with the way those sites were coded. When I tested the same pages with Chrome in Windows, they looked fine, though.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
So after 1 week and I can't get used to the 27"

So I might go back to the MAXed out 21" or dare I say the rMBP

Question is, whats better on the GPU as both have 650 GPU, but the rMBP is 1GB ram but higher screen res

I've currently got the 680MX in this 27", gutted to see it go but the screen fonts and menu's just hurt my eyes

Dont know why but its not good and my eyes feel dry using it

If I recall, you initially were leaning towards the 21.5", but ended up getting the 27" because of the 680MX and gaming. I can tell you first hand that I love my 21.5" and it is able to handle my gaming needs (I've already discussed this in several threads/posts). I originally ordered the 27" maxed out (trust me, I can afford it ;)), but my needs didn't really justify the screen real estate or that much juice! In addition, the 21.5" is ergonomically better for me because of my room/desk size, and the distance at which I sit from the computer. I'm really happy I went with the 21.5". I game fine on it (recent titles too!). Do I have to tweak some settings to optimize gameplay performance - sure, but that it no way detracts from my enjoyment of the games. Most games run at high settings with more than playable frame rates. I've also OC'ed the 650M for a little more oomph! I almost went rMBP over iMac, but didn't need the portability. The 21.5" is just as powerful, and cost less too! Anyway, hope that helps and good luck with your decision.

----------

Seriously? Who can't get used to a bigger screen?!?! So strange to see these posts. I often wonder if it's people trying to justify returning because they have guilt having spent money they didn't have. It's the only thing I can think of.

Quick to judge it as a matter of finances, yet it's very possible the 27" screen is too big for the OP, thereby leading to eyestrain and difficulty using/enjoying the machine. It's certainly not out the realm of plausibility. There is such a thing as not wanting an Apple product because it doesn't meet the owner's expectations, as opposed to not being able to afford it.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
Why don't you set it to 1280x720 HiDPI, for a pseudo retina mode? Everything will be nice and sharp (thanks to the HiDPI scaling) at a resolution roughly comparable to a 13" MBP.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
So after 1 week and I can't get used to the 27"

So I might go back to the MAXed out 21" or dare I say the rMBP

Question is, whats better on the GPU as both have 650 GPU, but the rMBP is 1GB ram but higher screen res

I've currently got the 680MX in this 27", gutted to see it go but the screen fonts and menu's just hurt my eyes

Dont know why but its not good and my eyes feel dry using it

I think both 21.5 and 27 iMac have same dpi resolution, I don't think it's the font and menu hurt your eyes.

For 21.5 screen, the static black frame is on your peripheral vision. For 27, the refreshing LCD screen is on your peripheral vision, it hurts.

Human eye peripheral vision is very sensitive to motion image and blinking image, human needs this feature to survive in jungle, wild animals can be coming from any directions.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I think both 21.5 and 27 iMac have same dpi resolution, I don't think it's the font and menu hurt your eyes.

For 21.5 screen, the static black frame is on your peripheral vision. For 27, the refreshing LCD screen is on your peripheral vision, it hurts.

Human eye peripheral vision is very sensitive to motion image and blinking image, human needs this feature to survive in jungle, wild animals can be coming from any directions.

For me, the difference between them is that I can sit much closer to the 21.5-inch than the 27-inch. I had my 27-inch at the same place on my desk as my old 24-inch. In Windows, I just bumped up the size of the interface a little bit and it was fine for the apps that supported that feature.

If Apple would just enable the HiDPI scaling options on the iMac, it wouldn't be a problem for me at all. I guess they're waiting until it has a higher resolution screen, but technically it could work now.

I'd like a scaled resolution that is between 1080 and 1440. If they added that option, then for web browsing I could have everything larger, and then for editing video or doing work that needs the extra resolution, I could bump it up. Best of both worlds with one screen. I tried that with the Retina MacBook Pro and it was very slick. It gives a lot of flexibility to choose your interface size.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Obviously brightness can be a factor, normally 25% is ample. Being 41, as I am too, we are in the beginning changes of presbyopia, resulting in decreasing focusing ability, and the small stuff is noticed first. Obviously I don't know if you have an Rx or not currently, but if you don't have any type of 'ADD' in your glasses if you do have them, then go see an optometrist in your area, explain your issues, and he'll most likely add about +0.50D to +1.00D of power to the reading portion of your glasses, resulting in about half that much for the intermediate portion (or normal computer distance). That'll do it. I Rx all the time for these issues.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
You might try measuring the exact distance between the screen and your eyes when you are sitting at your computer. Then, using that distance, select a cheap pair of reading glasses which focus properly at that distance, or have a pair of prescription glasses made for your eyes to focus at that distance.

This focus distance is probably different than what you need for normal reading, and if you wear glasses the reading distance is probably what you were prescribed and own.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I didn't realize I needed a reading lens at first because it sneaks up on you gradually. Actually I use "computer glasses" which focus a little further away than a reading lens. These work really well for screens.

Also, in Safari try "Command +" to make everything scale larger.

jstnlzr

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2012
Space Coast
Ive used 27 in about every lab at school, and i am going from a 14 to a 27... it is just more resource space and etc. You should be able to get used to it..

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Seriously? Who can't get used to a bigger screen?!?! So strange to see these posts. I often wonder if it's people trying to justify returning because they have guilt having spent money they didn't have. It's the only thing I can think of.

Seriously?

Do you know how many 17" Macbook Pro's that were returned because of font readability issues tied to screen resolution?

I went to the Apple Store and looked at a 15" Macbook Pro alongside a 17" Macbook Pro and the problem was glaringly obvious.

The Apple Store Genius even acknowledged handling returns of the 17" Macbook Pro for the issue.

The same issue exists with the 27" iMac versus the 21.5" iMac.

Just because you are not having an issue with it, does not mean that others are not.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Seriously?

Do you know how many 17" Macbook Pro's that were returned because of font readability issues tied to screen resolution?

The same issue exists with the 27" iMac versus the 21.5" iMac.

I guess there are a lot of people who need glasses then, but I'm still going with the financial aspect, because I'd be willing to bet there are 99%+ of those who complain about this who have a TV they watch daily with far less pixel density and text\image quality. But hey, people will find any reason they can to complain to justify having overspent when the reality hits by their credit card statement coming in the mail. LOL

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Take of yer beer goggles, mate! Just kidding...

Do you run your brightness super low or super high? Usually brightness pays a factor into eyestrain for me, not font sizes.

Also, I typically use Chrome on my iMac 27" and scale pages at 125% and set minimum font size to 12, 13 or 14. Did you try that?

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I guess there are a lot of people who need glasses then, but I'm still going with the financial aspect, because I'd be willing to bet there are 99%+ of those who complain about this who have a TV they watch daily with far less pixel density and text\image quality. But hey, people will find any reason they can to complain to justify having overspent when the reality hits by their credit card statement coming in the mail. LOL

Not very logical, he can return his purchase within the return period for no reason at all. I also don't see what people would get out of making up reasons for returning something on an Internet forum? It's not like he has to keep up appearances with anybody here ; )

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that different people have different preferences. I can see the small text just fine. I don't need glasses. I just can't stand how small the UI is. I don't like everything being so small.

I'll probably get another 27-inch iMac because I can't find any other display I like as much, and I find the 21.5-inch to small. I really would like a 24-inch option, though.

Your statement doesn't make sense. Someone would complain to justify not being able to afford something. I think it would be more likely that someone would deny having an issue with a product to justify having overspent on a purchase.

tejagamer

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010
Why dont you reduce the resolution to 1920x1080 and use it then? It should be a lot easier on your eyes then. Did you give it a try?

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
I wear reading glasses. And sometimes contact lenses with my distance glasses!
I just set a distance I'm comfortable with!

In other words, if I'm wearing my contacts I need to sit maybe 10" further back from screen compared to just my readers!

21.5 btw. Not sure i could cope with a 27" though!!

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
Get a pair of glasses.

Seriously, it might be the problem. My dad (48 years old) had problems with eye strain when he got his 2009 27" iMac so he went to see the optician and got a pair of reading glasses and his problems was gone instantly.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Get a pair of glasses.

Seriously, it might be the problem. My dad (48 years old) had problems with eye strain when he got his 2009 27" iMac so he went to see the optician and got a pair of reading glasses and his problems was gone instantly.
I totally agree. It might just be a problem that a set of reading glasses can sort out!
These can be picked up very cheaply just about anywhere and different strengths for certain distances.
I have a dedicated pair and strength solely for watching tv!!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Not very logical, he can return his purchase within the return period for no reason at all. I also don't see what people would get out of making up reasons for returning something on an Internet forum? It's not like he has to keep up appearances with anybody here ; )

People always try to justify things to themselves, and sharing that justification with others puts them at ease.

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
People always try to justify things to themselves, and sharing that justification with others puts them at ease.

I can agree with that in general, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to apply it to Online behavior in an anonymous forum.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

Who the hell uses a Credit Card to buy a computer? It's not like a computer is a major expense.

Of course walking into the Apple Store and buying three iMacs with cash causes confusion. They need to bring in two witnesses to watch the cash being counted.

I love the guys at the Apple Store in Christiana Mall ( Delaware ) they always greet me with a smile and their hands held open ( to take my money ).

I got there because there is no sales tax, and when you buy three or more Apple computers at once that 6% adds up.

AndiS - you are of course correct.

There is a slight hint of arrogance in the post made by *shenand1982*, it seems he likes to think it's a money issue because he thinks he can afford one and others cannot.

The font readability issue has nothing to do with affordability, it's a real problem and Apple has acknowledged it.

The font readability issue caused many 17" Macbook Pro buyers to return the 17" in favor of the 15".

You would think the 17" would be easier to read, but that was not the case.

In a side by side comparison between the two at their native resolutions the letters on the 15" were slightly larger than on the 17".

Maybe that's why there are no 17" Macbook Pro's anymore?

I have a 24" iMac and a 27" iMac and the 24" is easier to read than the 27".

For use the 'fix' is simple ..... use the 27" for graphics/image work, and the 24" for when reading is necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.