Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
I'm no expert.

I notice there are alot of GREAT looking monitors for $400ish that are 20-22 inch/wide screen and at great prices.

The key price difference seems to be the brightness rating 280 vs 300 cd/m2

Beyone the math and % difference how key is this? My novice look at monitore at a local Best buy found that the 280's looked dim - but that is in store lighting? in a home environment is this truly a $200+ difference?

I was looking close at a samsung 22inch and a LG 21 inch monitor. Both seem OK for the price and keep in mind I'm mentally comparing them to my new Apple 23 inch.

My main use will be to hold all the menu and non graphic windows for photoshop - the image itself will be on the Apple monitor and the even more important use to have all my fantasy football scores showing at once with no overlapping windows. So I am believeing I can survive without a 2nd Apple monitor (but seekritly craving one).

Thank you for your input.

Irie

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I would'nt even consider that as comparative benchmark when talking about monitors. Other elements such a update speed, backlighting and contrast ratio are far more important.
Just remember that the brighter the display is, the more it will strain your eyes and you need to turn the brightness down, resulting in inaccurate color settings (somewhat more an issue with LCD TV's that are built for being watched at from a distance).

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
I would'nt even consider that as comparative benchmark when talking about monitors. Other elements such a update speed, backlighting and contrast ratio are far more important.
Just remember that the brighter the display is, the more it will strain your eyes and you need to turn the brightness down, resulting in inaccurate color settings (somewhat more an issue with LCD TV's that are built for being watched at from a distance).

True

So maybe a revised question would be....

Who has a large formate wide screen (non-apple) monitor that they want to brag about?

Please submit model #s for 20-24 inch wide screen monitors that may not be as good as an Apple 23inch but may also be a good value in the $400-$500 range.

Cheers

IJ

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
The Dell 2007wfp 20" widescreen is an excellent value. It uses the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display 20" and the 20" iMac. It has 300 cd/m2 brightness and 800:1 contrast ratio. Only three other widescreen 20" monitors on the market right now boast those specs, and the Dell also has a built-in USB hub, multiple inputs (DVI, VGA, composite, S-video), picture-in-picture, picture-by-picture, and (this is more rare than you think) a height-adjustable stand. And you can get all that for about $350 or less, depending on sales and coupons. It looks brilliant with my iMac display, and my friends and guests never stop commenting on how good the picture is on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.