2G Shuffle on an iMac G3 400Mhz

Discussion in 'iPod' started by zali0n, Nov 30, 2006.

1. zali0n macrumors regular

Hi guys (and gals) I was wondering if you could help me. I'd like to get my girlfriend a G2 iPod shuffle for christmas however there is no system requirements on the page for it, except for iTunes 7 which requires "500MHz G3 processor or better".

Does this mean that there is no way what so ever she can use a G2 iPod shuffle on her machine?

Thanks for your help! :)

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't know about that. The first thing to do would be to try to run iTunes 7 on her machine. Essentially any new iPods, Shuffles, Nanos, and Videos all run on USB 2.0 not firewire. However a friend of mine got a 80GB iPod video and uses it with his 12" PB 867. He did have to upgrade to 10.3 Panther, and then to iTunes 7.0 and Quicktime 7.x.x to get it working. At that point he could manually transfer 500 songs or so at a time to the iPod so it wouldn't get too hot or freeze up. It took about 30 minutes per 500, because the PB has USB 1.1 not 2.0 so it was considerably slower. It took him some time but he eventually got all 20GB of music onto his iPod. Now he has autoupdating on so that anytime he adds a new album or playlist it will sync the new data, since it isn't that much.

Again the main thing is, can it run 10.3 and iTunes 7?

3. zali0n thread starter macrumors regular

She's got 10.4.7 on there and the last version of iTunes 6 before 7 came out. As for the syncing over 1.1 she won't be doing much of that as she only has a few songs that'd she would like on there. I could have a go at installing iTunes 7 on there but i'd don't wanna break her machine hehe :rolleyes:

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

iTunes 7 works fine on my G3/400 iMac DV. Just make sure there's a nice bit of RAM in there. Those babies will take a Gig. Mine's at 384mb and it's fine.

5. zali0n thread starter macrumors regular

bigandy, she's got 512MB so hopefully things should be okay. I'll have a go at installing it tonight and let you guys know tommorrow! Then if she's all right with that, bring on the shuffle...... :cool:

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

If it runs on the 400 you should be just fine. And 1.1 on a Shuffle isn't that big of a deal. 10 minutes even if you fill it up.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

hmm, interesting. I did not know tha a usb-only ipod could load songs over usb 1.1 at all. (it's relevant for my mother, whose ipod is dying, but who refuses to get rid of her 1 Ghz emac). Thanks guys. :)

8. zali0n thread starter macrumors regular

So I installed iTunes 7.0.2 last night and it seems okay :) The coverflow is a little slow but I was expecting that! So I went ahead and ordered a 2G shuffle earlier :)

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Glad to hear that you were able to get iTunes 7 installed on her iMac. She is going to love her iPod Shuffle. :)