2GB free e-mail account

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by STITCHES, Jun 5, 2004.

1. STITCHES macrumors member

2. theimacguy macrumors regular

theimacguy

3. mms macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think that once the quotas are over 1GB, size is not that much of a factor anymore. 1GB would last a long time for most people, and certainly few people would have 1GB worth of important email that must be kept. I love Gmail's interface, and another email provider would have to beat the UI and the reliability in order to win me over.

4. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I usually like to clear out mail from time to time so even a 1GGB maybe a bit too much, mind you its not taking space on my computer so who cares :D

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I just create folders in my Mail account and drag the messages that i want to save there. Rarely do I need to access mail from anything but my main computer.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Anybody who has 1 GB of email and runs out of space should seriously do some cleaning up. There's really no need for me to use 2GB for email. I wouldn't want that much sitting there, anyway. I have a hotmail account right now that has 227 text emails in it. I just save all the email attachments and delete the message. What's the limit on Hotmail.....5 MB? Possibly 10 MB?

I know that storage is cheap now, but just because you can get it for free, doesn't mean you have to sign up. Why get it? Free is free, but if it seems a bit ridiculous, then I won't bother signing up for another email account just because I can get another 1 Gig that I'll never use. Same with most things, even if they're free. Gmail is good enough, as is Spymail or any of the others offering 1 GB, or even 100 MB.

How do these companies make their money?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that if these companies really want to turn some heads, they should offer free hosting of 1GB!

Oh, wait, people might use the space then.

Seriously, a 200MB library of E-mails would be overkill for anything but a commercial business. And a business that needs that much E-mail space would likely be running their OWN E-mail server.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Well, it has a nice interface. I feel like there has to be a catch, but I can't find one as of yet.

Attached Files:

10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Wow, I expected to see a lot of negative feedback about the service on this page, considering that (A) the service is from Hivemail, (B) the service doesn't always receive incoming mails, and (C) sometimes it goes down for a day (or two) because of upgrades. Well, for me, the service has improved since it was initially released (i.e. when it didn't work). Yeah, I actually got to use the service when it first came out (June 1st), and it didn't get any incoming mails...then it went down for 24 hours for upgrades, and still didn't work. But, now, it seems to be just as working as Fastmail.fm, which is nice. (For 10MB free accounts, Fastmail.fm is semi-reliable.)