2GB MacBook RAM for $159 shipped!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macpastor, Jun 6, 2006.

1. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

I have used Omni Technologies in the past for my RAM and they are excellent. If you go to www.ramseeker.com, and put in the MacBook, several vendors will pop up, as will Omni. There price is $76.99 for 1 GB. Click on the price and you will be sent to their website where you process the order.

This is the best price I have found, and from my past experience, this RAM works every bit as good as the Apple RAM.

2. jkieffer72 macrumors member

I've had a positive experience with them as well on my 2GB upgrade for the Mac Book Pro.

JK

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yeah, that's where I ordered my RAM from for my iMac. No problems. :)

4. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

hmmm...I would get these except the only have a one year warranty. The Patriot and Gigaram sticks for $80.99 and $81.89 respectively, each with $4.99 shipping (on newegg) both come with lifetime warrantys, just a thought. Basically for 13-15 dollars more you get a lifetime warranty.

5. macpastor thread starter macrumors regular

macpastor

Good only for original user and I normally sell within the first year so someone else can pick up the AppleCare if they choose.

6. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Has anyone ever had their RAM crap out on them? I know I've never had this happen. Lifetime warranty ofr anything is nice though. I'm still considering which one to buy.

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Actually i have, in the iMac G5 that my parents own. I installed it and ran the hardware test CD to make sure everything was good to go, which is was. They used the computer for about a month and then i can home the weekend and started using it. I cant remeber what exatcly i was doing but not long after it stated kernel panicing on me. I ask mom and dad if that had before and they said it started a few days ago. I took one of the sticks out and re-ran the hardware test. The first test cam back fine but as soon as i put the other in and ran the test it failed.

All i had to do was send the ram back and they replaced it for me no problem.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What does AppleCare have to do with third-party RAM?

9. macpastor thread starter macrumors regular

macpastor

Absolutely nothing...

I sell the machine within a year so I don't care if the RAM has a 1 year or lifetime warranty. Even lifetime warranty will not transfer to a new owner, it only provides warranty to the original purchaser.

I was stating that I sell within a year, so whoever buys the machine I am selling can get AppleCare if they choose on the machine (not RAM) Better to sell while a warranty can still be purchased than to sell after the 1 year and they have no options.

10. iGary Guest

iGary

Not quite. Apple will often refuse to proceed down a course of repair unless the issue can be replicated with only the installed Apple RAM.

Depends on manufacturer/reseller.

11. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Yalp, even good ram eventualy goes south.

I should note that the only ram that has ever gone bad on me has been on PC work stations that get intensive use 12 hours a day.

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

On the site it says it has a lifetime warranty. :confused:
    I was goin to consider the other ones suggested but since they both have lifetime, I'll go with the cheaper. :D

13. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I ordered 2 GB of the Gigaram sticks and they should be arriving today. I'll let you know how they hold up in my Macbook. I am new to macs, though. How do you test your RAM?

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm not really sure how to test, but if you goto, the Apple logo on the menu bar then :About This Mac:More Info:Hardware:Memory: It shows your status and speed. Just check that. If one is a dud I assume, the OS won't power up.

15. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Ok, I received the Gigaram in the mail yesterday evening and installed it in my Macbook. The installation is actually kind of difficult, in that you really REALLY need to push the RAM in hard. Anyway, I ran memtest from memtestosx.org on it and everything checked out fine. My Macbook is very fast now, and the 2GB only cost about $160 total from newegg.com!

16. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I ordered this yesterday;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208037

Transcend JetRAM 1GB for 79.99 with a $10 rebate, which looks like a good deal. Reviews have said this ram works fine with MB's so it shouldn't have any problems. I ordered 2 of these suckers, so I'm ready to fly with my MB once I get them. :D

18. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Boy that web site stinks.I can't even find memory for macbook. Plus it takes 2 minutes to load each page. I guess I do need a upgrade.

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

You talkin about newegg? I've always had slow loading with their pages.

20. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Rember

The best way to test your RAM seems to be Rember. It's like memtest, but graphic, and thus, easier, for us mac newbies...

21. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

22. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Got My Transcend RAM today, it works, and passed all the tests in Rember. Everything is super quick now. No waiting.

23. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Installed my 2GB of Patriot last night, then ran apple hardware test, works like a dream :D

24. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

ordered the 2GB of Patriot from newegg. im experiencing major slow downs and spinning color wheels with my macbook at 512MB hoping this will fix it :)