2GB Memory Upgrade for PB 17"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ericnovember, Jan 28, 2004.

1. ericnovember macrumors newbie

Good morning,

Does anyone have experience with the 2GB Memory upgrade available for the PowerBook 17". I have the 1Ghz revision of the powerbook and am interested in what other users experiences have been with that....or really any other type of memory upgrade on the PowerBook. Any recommended sites?

Thanks,
    Eric Y.

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i have a couple friends who have set theirs up to accomodate 2 gigs of ram, on a rev a 17 like mine. but when doing real world tests my 1 gig ram and their 2 gig ram the difference is only in a matter of 2-5 seconds, of course themore multitasking the larger the gap. but the large differences start coming in when running 10 apps and rendering.

i couldnt justify the cost for the performance tho

but if u still want to head over to crucial.com

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

what could you possibly NEED 2 gigs of RAM for on a powerbook?? That upgrade is incredibly expensive - the hardware differences in a low end G5 would do the same trick - for a similar price.

4. ericnovember thread starter macrumors newbie

the question was more just inquistive than anything else. I'll probably stick with adding another 512 stick to the 'book and see how it performs then. It is just nice knowing that I have the ability to stick 2gb of ram, if I ever decide that I want to run Finale, FinalCut, Photoshop, and Halo in tandem (jk). Nevertheless, when I have the entire Adove Creative Suite up and running I can tell the strain I'm putting on the memory...

Any recommended sites for apple memory?

Thanks,
    Eric Y.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well if your running the whole suite simulatenously and doing a lot of work, ram is just another factor, proc and hard drive speed are other contributing factors, but with a gig you should be able to get through it pretty well

www.crucial.com
    www.dealram.com

i prefer crucial because of quality
    dealram you can get cheaper ram, but its quality isnt as stringent as crucial

6. superwagon macrumors newbie

I too have the latest 17-inch PB. Currently have the 1GB memory that it came with in Slot 1 and Slot 2 is open. I run Photoshop CS, ImageReady CS, Dreamweaver MX, Flash Mx, Safari, Mail, and iTunes literally all day long. I occasionally will add Virtual PC w/480mb allocated. The only time I really notice any lag is when my ImageReady doc is over 40mb, but I think that is just Adobe's problem(ImageReady is meant for smaller file sizes). Honestly, I have had over 100 apps running at once. That was every app I have except Virtual PC and GarageBand.

Anyway, I think programs like FCP and GarageBand can never have enough memory. Thus the reason for up to 8gb in the G5s. I will probably add another 1GB chip when I get the money. I figure, I have a 1.33 G4 processor, why not give Panther plenty of room to run.

-- At work we bought 1GB chip for out G5 and CompUSA worked us a great deal on it. I think they must agree to beat all other prices or something like that.

7. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

I have 1.5 in mine. I don't see what I could get much more out of another 512.