Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Hey guys,

From what I've read so far, Time Machine will make backups and store them to your system when your external drive is not connected and then move them to the external drive and delete them off of the internal hard drive.

My question is why is there 2GB of local backups being stored on my hard drive when my external drive is plugged in? How do I delete the backups?

Last edited:

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys,

From what I've read so far, Time Machine will make backups and store them to your system when your external drive is not connected and then move them to the external drive and delete them off of the internal hard drive.

My question is why is there 2GB of local backups being stored on my hard drive when my external drive is plugged in? How do I delete the backups?

You can delete them with sudo tmutil disablelocal
It will take a couple of min to delete.
You can't delete them manually, so that command will disable the local snapshots.

I don't know the limit of the storage when the computer is making the local snapshots.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
That did the trick mrapplegate, thanks.

I just wish Apple gave the user granular control of the local snapshots, like the ability to say don't store more than X amount of GB on my system, or at least prune the local snapshots like TM does with it's old backups. I have yet to see Lion really control them that well. In fact I turned it off myself.

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
I just wish Apple gave the user granular control of the local snapshots, like the ability to say don't store more than X amount of GB on my system, or at least prune the local snapshots like TM does with it's old backups. I have yet to see Lion really control them that well. In fact I turned it off myself.

my system is currently on 112GB on local backups ;(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.