2GB of RAM in an early Powerbook G4 17" 1 GHz?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by puhlsar, Jun 21, 2004.

1. puhlsar macrumors newbie

A friend of mine at work has an original model 17" 1GHz Powerbook and is looking to upgrade his ram. He wants to install 2GB, but of course the specs on the system only rate it for 1GB. He called the Apple Store and they said that while Apple doesn't officially recommend it, it can be done.

Has anyone done this successully and had positive results for an extended period of time? I told him I'd check around and see if I could find any information on anyone who'd done it successfully but I haven't had any positive confirmation yet that it will work successfully. I searched this forum and while I found some talk here and there about 2GB in the 17" model I couldn't find anyone discussing any serious experiences with it, good or bad.

Anyway any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

2. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

I don't see how you can fit 2GB in there. I don't think they make a 1768 MB RAM Chip.....

3. puhlsar thread starter macrumors newbie

In my search on these forums I came across a post about a 1GB ram chip being released for the old 17" 1GHz Rev, so I know they exist, my question is whether or not anyone here has put in two of those chips with any success?

4. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

yes you can put 2 GB of RAM in a Rev. A 17". Im currently looking into doing it..just seing if its economically feasible...

5. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

you can, but I think it's harder to do than it is in the rev B and C Powerbooks

6. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

you actually just take out the standard 512MB chip and plop in 2 '1GB' chips....same as the Rev B and C. It was rated as 1GB max because the 1GB chips at the time were very expensive

7. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

if he's willing to sell his standard 512 CHIP from his Rev. A..let me know..I'd happily purchase it off of yoU! Thanks!

8. puhlsar thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for your help, I'll let you know if he's interested in selling it.