2GB RAM - 4x512MB or 2x1GB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Apr 7, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

In trying to select 2GB's of RAM for my 2.5 G5, I noticed I could save a few dollars by purchasing 4 sticks of 512MB versus 2 of the 1GB.

Is there any noticable difference in having more chips? I mean, if I've got 8 slots and add 4 to my existing 2, I'll still be left with 2 for the future.

I guess I'd prefer to just go with the two 1GB sticks to save the other slots, just not sure if this might affect the performance of the machine at all.

Also, I know http://www.crucial.com has been plugged here a million+ times for Mac memory upgrades, but has anyone dealt with http://www.18004memory or http://macsales.com (OWC)? They seem to offer some great prices on 2GB kits (1GBx2), each right around $250.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcomed! Thanks!

2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

AFAIK, there should be no difference. I believe that G5's can do something special when you have two identical sticks of RAM in there, so either way, you should be set. I guess it mainly depends on whether or not you plan on buying more RAM in the near future. Keep in mind however that next time you go to buy RAM, 1GB sticks will be cheaper and 2GB sticks may be available and compatible with the G5.

reality

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Get 4 similar 512MB DIMMs. Next time you want to add RAM, you can just buy 2 1GB DIMMs.

4. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I'm going to do that. RAM will always be cheaper as technology moves on so if I do need to ever need the slots open, I can fill them up with something new and still save money as I am today.

5. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Crucial has a deal for mac owners at the moment, its like 4% off and the the 512 sticks are 56.50 ish today, when you order type in the coupon code MAPROMO when you order for the 4% off. I purchased 2x512 last week from there for around 120 total. A lot less than i would have spent a few weeks ago when they were pushint $85 a stick.

6. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

djbahdow01:

You could not have timed that any better for me. I had just gone to Crucial to put my order together and figured I'd check one last time to see if anyone else had any other opinions.

Then I see you post a 4% off code! It saved me $9! That was half of my sales tax!

Thank you very much! I bought 4 512MB sticks for $220! Thanks for all your help! Now I just have to wait for everything to ship!

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

congrats on the purchase!! let us know how it goes

8. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Congrats, glad i could help. It sure has helped me. Photoshop now opens multiple files with ease. Too bad i didn't have enough to get 2GB like you did though.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Make sure to test your RAM thoroughly after you get it. Run the Hardware Test CD and focus on the RAM. Just to be sure they are all good-- Macs can be finky with RAM. (I haven't had any issues, but with 4 sticks you want to check before you get errors, right?)