2GB RAM or 7200rpm in MacBook C2D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SpaceMagic, Nov 11, 2006.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey all,

I have £x pounds to spend (a limit) and I wondered which would be more beneficial, upgrading from 1GB to 2GB Ram or buying a 7200rpm drive. If so, where should I buy the ram from (open probably only to UK people... and the answer will probably be crucial :p)? And which drive should I buy (open to everyone, I hear seagate best?)

cheers in advance,

SpaceMagic

2. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I'd get the RAM, skip a 7200rpm drive and go for a Seagate (hard to source in the UK) or Hitachi (easier to source) 160GB 5400rpm PMR drive if you have any spare cash.

The real question is how much hard drive space do you need right now?

3. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

what does PMR stand for? Is it the new Perpendicular drives? And.. are they faster or slower than normal 5400rpm drives? I don't actually really need 160GB...

4. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yep, perpendicular. They're faster than normal 5400rpm drives, benchmarks put them equal to 7200rpm models. If you don't need 160GB then why not just stick with the stock 80GB drive for now? Spend the money maxing your RAM.

The beauty of the MacBook is you can upgrade your HDD in the future easily and without voiding your warranty. HDD prices will fall, but RAM looks to be increasing in price.

5. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Max out the RAM, hard disk storage is just getting cheaper.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Getting the additional RAM will benefit your performance much more than the
    hard drive.

Selecting your hard drive has more to do with how you plan to use your notebook.

IF you plan on dual booting Mac OS X and Windows XP, then you'll want either a larger internal drive or a good fast external.

The default OS X install and the formatting takes up more than 20 GB of your primary hard drive space. With a lean custom install, you can knock that down
    to just over 10 GB without losing anything important.

In reality it's less expensive and safer to have a good fast external drive like the
    Western Digital MyBook Pro 250 GB HD or something similar.

Since you're on a tight budget, I'd go for the extra RAM performance and worry about the hard drive later.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

He's in the UK. I cannot recommend OWC as shipping costs are high, especially if you receive faulty goods and have to return them.

10. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

The problem is, the move from 1gb to 2gb isn't cheap. I realise I could ebay the current 1gb but nuisance.

I'm being silly really, i should see after I've got the machine. I'm just used to my 1.8 G5 with 3GB ram and 10,000rpm raptor boot disk, which is very fast. That mac is 3 years old and I suppose I just want to see a perchase made 3 years later can at least match the machine... but i doubt it.

11. capoditutti macrumors 6502

capoditutti

Does this mean that the MBP C2D HDD bay isn't easily accessible?

CaPo

12. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Unfortunately yes. It's means taking off the whole top case to get at it, and while not very hard, there's potential for damaging it and possibly voiding the warranty.