2gb Ram w/ MB & MBP which gets it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kamikaze, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Kamikaze macrumors member

Hello, I use MB & MBP a lot. I got 2gb matched pair ram thinking I'd put it into the MB, but I wondering if I should max out the pro. Anyone think different. I use Office, iTunes, Surf the net, Handbrake, and when Leopard comes out will run XP.

Thx

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would stick it in the MacBook, but why do you have both?

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Maybe you should tell us what RAM they have in them now...?

4. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

IT would depend on how much they each havenow, what you use each for, how often, etc. More info please?

5. butaro macrumors regular

Im gonna guess that since he said max out the MBP he has 1g stick in MBP and 512/1g in MB. I would put it into the MB then use those extra lil ones on that MBP lol

6. Kamikaze thread starter macrumors member

Sorry folks, I have (2) 512's in each system. I first bought the MB, then got he MBP for a job that fell through. I love them both. The MB has the batteyr life and portablilty, the MBP hs the backlit keyboard bigger screen, better speakers, etc. I got the ram for my B-Day. My initial thought was use it the MB being the low end machine, but maxing out the pro sounds sweet also.
    Maybe I shouldn't care about the macthed pair of ram and do 1.5gb in each.:)

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

1.5GB in each sounds good to me. Matched pairs don't make a difference anymore, don't worry about it. It really depends on what kind of work you do on each, but if it's about equal then make their RAM equal too.

8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Hm, well 1.5 in each would be nice, though the amcboks graphics are being eaten out fo the ram so itd be nice to give that as much as you can.

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I was under the impression that only Windows has enabled RAM sharing with the integrated graphics and not OS X?

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Wrong impression.

Where else, in the MacBook, would OSX get its video RAM from ?

11. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Up to you really. I'd put more ram in the one you use more. On one hand the MB has vram so you want some more ram in it because of that (I have a MB with 2gb, and it runs sweet). On the other hand you want the MBP to have lots of ram if you use more powerful program on it.

Up to you really. If you use them both around the same I'd make them equal.

TS

12. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

i'd put more into the MBP. it's the faster machine anyway (unless the MB is C2D and MBP is CD), it has a larger screen, and it'd be the one I'd go to for anything processing-intensive (audio, video, photo, encoding, etc.)