2gb stick of ram

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by southbark, Dec 25, 2006.

1. southbark macrumors regular

where do you get a 2gb stick of ram so you can put 3gb's of ram in your mac book pro

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I see a samsung stick on ebay for about $260. Pretty good price for it.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Buy from Apple, so it would be supported if you need repairs. Crucial.com is also good.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Hahaha, you have any idea how much Apple ram costs?

For a 2GB stick?

5. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Apple RAM

Actually - I think (with Student discount) its not too bad. Quite comparable considering they'll warranty it and fit it in free of charge. At least thats what they offered in Manchester UK.

I had a 2GHz PM, and bought 2GB of RAM from crucial. However, this MacPro's memory is so F*cking expensive. And with this heatsink crap - I'm saving up specifically for Apple RAM. That way I know what to expect and if the manure hits the air conditioning system - Apple wont ask me to take out the thrid party's memory.

F

6. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at crucial they want $900 dollars and kingston wants $750 i do not see it on apple.com.I saw a 1gb stick and 2 1gb sticks.The apple site does not show a single 2gb stick.

7. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Maybe because they realised that there is no way anybody will realistically pony up $2000 after the "Apple tax" to buy it from them.

Like I said eBay has some good deals, who cares about warranty when for the price Apple charges you can throw your Macbook Pro away and buy a new one. Besides in my experience Apple fixes me previous systems with third party modules without complaints.

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

iWoot is always right.;) haha, but for real he is usually on the mark, as illustrated here. why would you pay $1700 more just ofr the possibility that apple will repair it? no that is the ultimate apple care rip off of the year, and it looks like the winner for 2006 with only a few days to go. haha

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Why do you laugh at me? "Hahaha, you have any idea how much Apple ram costs?" A 2GB stick from Apple is $350, which I'd rather pay then $260 on ebay, and not have it be supported.

10. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Haha, iW00t, you have the Zune O-face girl as your avatar. That's awesome. You're awesome.

11. California macrumors 68040

California

Ram is either good or not good in a mac. The idea of "Apple Supported" ram went out about five years ago. Ram should have a lifetime warranty. If I get third party, I get Samsung ram (which supplies Apple with their oem ram) and I used to get Kingston for my old PC133 needs.

Just make sure it has a manufacterer's warranty. Is it that hard to take the memory out of a machine when sent in to Apple?

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

If you use a Zune you are gonna be in that much pain :D

13. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

Apple's a ripoff. If you read a lot of the threads regarding memory, you'd realize that Apple's prices for their samsung are just not worth the price differential from say, Crucial. The only realistic advantage (let's say that they do both work, which is likely considering stores like crucial are very reliable) is shipping. I always find that Apple shipping is usually in 3-4 days from purchase.

14. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

As for the link on eBay, here it is.

I'd have gotten it for myself if not for my stupid MBP's display.

15. jtown macrumors 6502

RAM is RAM. Buy the cheapest stuff that meets the specs. There's no reason to pay more than the minimum for memory. And don't use those "configurator" things. You'll pay a markup.

The current MacBook Pro = PC2-5300 SO-DIMM.

Go to www.dealram.com and look that up. Cheapest price for 1x2gig (not 2x1gig) when navigating directly to the PC2-5300 SO-DIMM listings = $209.00+tax. Cheapest price if I use their "find by system" setup = $263.35+tax.

What does that extra $50something get you? Absolutely nothin'. You just paid someone else to do that 2 minutes of research it took to figure out that the current MacBook Pro takes PC2-5300 SO-DIMM memory.

16. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

WOW! I had no idea it was so cheap! Wasn't it $600+ everywhere a few weeks ago?
    If only this kind of thing would happen with the Mac Pro's RAM!

17. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple's two x 1Gb sticks = $350. Not one 2 Gb stick. Read the description.
    Apple isn't offering a 2 Gb module outside of a BTO machine purchase.

The Dealram Sub-$500 prices are kits of 2 x 1 gb modules - you have to go and read the individual specifications, not just go by the description or the picture, or trust that the vendors will only list 2 Gb modules under the "2Gb" heading.

Buy.com lists a couple of generic possibles under $400 but they are either the wrong RAM (DIMMs) or not available. They famously advertised ACP modules a month or two ago at an ultra-low price, took a whackload of orders, and then could not deliver the bulk of the orders because there were only a few pieces available at that price.

If you believe that the vendors with the lowest prices on Dealram will 1) properly describe them, 2) guarantee Mac compatibility, and 3) Deliver RAM at the lower-than-wholesale advertised price to more than a token number of buyers, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you, too.

The Mac-compatible 2 Gb modules are listed from approx $590 to $720.

Fer pete sake, that's a used piece with no warranty and not even a 667 MHz module. You believe the anonymous eBay vendor when they say a 533 MHz module is MacBook Pro compatible? Why d'ya suppose he's selling it, then? "coz he bought it from some other dude and when he put it in his MacBook Pro it made the machine run 20% slower. Doh!

The thread is about a MacBOOK Pro. No heatsinks. (Yes I know your post is relevant to your experience, it's just not relevant to the thread.)

OP: Do yourself a favor. Buy your RAM from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with YOUR model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty (as opposed to Apples 1 year), and a no charge return if it doesn't work. If you are in the USA, then Crucial, OWC (Macsales) ($619) and Data Memory Systems ($605) are good choices.