2nd gen iPod bought for mac, use on PC?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hellodon, Feb 5, 2006.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2006
    This may be posted somewhere, but after browsing around for a few, i couldnt find an answer.

I have a 2nd generation ipod, back when they were sold for either Mac or PC. I am a mac guy so I have the version formatted for mac.

My assumption on this is that itunes was not available for PC at the time so the "PC formatted" version came with the (i think) Music Match software for that reason, and that's the only difference. Other than that, they seemed exactly the same. We received these as work gifts so I saw others at the office get the PC ones and the installation software seemed to be the only difference.

ANYWAY, its time for me to upgrade and I want to sell mine. I found a buyer that lives about an hour from me. I wanted to find out if he can use this on his PC before having him come pick it up because of the distance. I've heard yes and no answers. He has firewire, this is firewire. If its plugged in to a PC that has itunes installed on it, will it work?

And if not, how can we format it to work for PC.
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I'm pretty sure that you can download the Windows version of the latest iPod Software Updater and reformat it with that. Run that program, plug it into the PC, and then select the option to reinitialize or whatever.

Here is the link:

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    Although there were 2 versions of the 2nd gen sold (a windows version and a mac version) I have read that you can reformat a mac version to work on windows. The PC just has to have firewire.