2nd Gen Ipod Problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jbomber, Sep 7, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

jbomber

ok, i have a 2nd gen 10GB ipod that's not working properly.

when i try to start it up, i get the Magnifying glass/disc icon. After the ipod checks the disc (i assume that's what this means) it still won't play. I checked the menus and they're all blank. none of my music, playlists, etc shows up. plugging the ipod into my machine has no effect either.

anyone had a similar experience or got a fix for this?

2. macrumors regular

Have you tried Resetting the iPod or running the Diag' software?

I had to totally wipe my iPod (10G, 2nd Gen)once after about 3 months of having it. I can't remember what it was doing exactly but it sounds similar to your problem. I fixed it by using the iPod utility to Restore the iPod. I warn you that doing this will delete anything that you have stored on your iPod. It's worked fine for the past year after that though.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbomber

well the problem is i can't get it to stop the spinning disc function when it's on. as such, the machine won't recognize that there's an ipod connected. i've tried doing the manual reset a number of times, but no luck....

4. macrumors regular

Have you tried the iPod utility??
    Even though your iPod won't mount on the desktop or be recgnised by iTunes the iPod utility might beable to see it.
    It's a bit of a long shot though.

can you get the inbuilt diagnosis software to run on it?