Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waiting

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2007
[I did several searches prior to posting here, but my problem seems to be a combination of other similar ones, making those solutions ineffective or unfeasible.]

Hi, everyone.

My 2nd Gen iPod touch restarts endlessly (white Apple logo on screen for several minutes, brief white flash to black, then Apple logo again), and is not recognized by my Mac (MBP running 10.5.8) or in iTunes (just updated to 10.6).

It has never been jailbroken, and it had a nearly full charge when this problem started.

Holding the Power and Home buttons stops this cycle, but it restarts as soon as I connect the iPod to any power source (Apple USB charger, my MBP via Apple 30-pin USB cable, or 3rd party iHome desktop speaker unit).

Per Apple's troubleshooting guides, I've already charged the iPod, updated iTunes (now running 10.6), and restarted my Mac; I can't restore the iPod, as they also suggest, because it's not recognized by my computer.

Any suggestions about what else to try, or about what's happening? Aside from some news apps crashing from time to time, I've had no problems with this iPod until today.

trevorg16

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
DFU restore

Have you attempted to put the iPod into DFU mode and restore it? There are lots of guides on youtube on how to do it. Once its in DFU mode itunes will recognize it and should give you the option to restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.