2nd Gen Mac Books This Year?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Shadowhawk, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. Shadowhawk macrumors newbie

    Jun 14, 2006
    Ok, I use an iMac for work all the time, but have never owned one. I currently have a Windows laptop, but am very interested in getting a Mac Book, or a refurbished Mac Book Pro (my Mac budget is under $2,000).

    My friend got a Mac Book, and it moos and heats up just like many people have said. It's not a make or break deal for me, but if Apple fixes these issues with the next release of the Mac Book line, I'd rather wait a few months, and hobble along with my Celeron Laptop.

    And yes, I know that if I wait for the newest and best technology, I'll be waiting forever, cause it's always out of date before it's released. I would like to see a bit more for my money, as far as a $1299.00 Mac Book with at least a 120gb hard drive installed.

    I've heard rumors that new Mac Books wont be out until next January. If thats the case, I'll consider getting one now. If we may see upgrades before the Sept... I'd like to wait to see what they have to offer.

    Is it likely the next Mac Books would feature different Dual Core processors, or features like memory card readers, mic inputs?

    I know it's a lot of questions, but any help would be great, thanks!

    - Shaun
  2. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2005
    I think that before any macbook comes out, you're going to have a macbook pro come out for a bit of time. Yet, we're not sure if it'll be in September or January. If I had a computer to hold me over, I would; but if you need it, buy it
  3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030


    Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    i'm pretty sure apple revisions take a little longer than 'before september', since the MBs only just came out. the MBPs are due before the MBs.. however, if the speculation is right about merom this fall, that could speed up a revision, perhaps?

    all of this is just speculation.. that's all anyone can give you. and most of this speculation isn't really based on much fact.

    i think that if you need a computer now, go ahead and get it. if you don't, then wait till you do and get what's out then.. if it's a rev B product, great.. if not, oh well.
  4. hob macrumors 68020


    Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
    To be fair, noone can truly speculate except to point you back in time. Take a look at the buyer's guide - but bare in mind, we have nothing to go on as far as Intel Mac refreshes are concerned!!

    Personally - even if I needed a laptop right now, I probably wouldn't buy one. I got the intel iMac - mainly so I could start my transition... but I only bought it after researching thoroughly and finding that it is very reliable. I generally avoid Rev. A products like the plague!!
  5. purelithium macrumors 6502


    May 28, 2006
    Kingston, Canada
    I have had none of the problems a lot of people are complaining about on here. As a lot have said, they are probably just the vocal minority, not the silent majority that have had no issues. The only thing I don't like about the Macbook, is that it's hot, although that's a problem with the CoreDuo chip, not the MacBook specifically, as every other notebook that implements this chip has the same heat production.

    As for card readers and such, I've never known Apple to go that route, and I don't see them needing to implement those now either...
  6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

    Aug 10, 2005
    i would think that macbook pros will be out in around october, and the macbooks updated next january.
  7. Satori macrumors 6502a


    Jun 22, 2006
    OK, so this is complete speculation but....

    If merom is released around september/october time this will very likely lead to a MBP upgrade around the same time. This means that the faster yonah chips (2 & 2.16 ghz) could be put into the macbooks without making them look to close to the pro lappy for a november release and the xmas market.

    Having said all that - I don't suppose that the next upgrade will be a huge leap and so it won't matter too much if you buy now.
  8. EEcuber17 macrumors member

    Aug 4, 2005
    Illinois, US
    Personally I don't see a revision on the macbooks 'till next Summer.

    I mean they updated the iBooks in Summer 2005. Then Summer 2006 came the Macbooks. But maybe it was long because it was a complete redesign.

    Idk, you could see a slight revision by the end of the year?
  9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think the big thing we might see changing with Intel is that we will see more "silent" bumps à la what happened with the MBP right before release -- that is, nothing will change except the processor, because it's so easy to do upgrades and Intel bumps up more frequently than the G4/G5 did. But that also might mean that it will take them longer to do bigger updates...like doing something about the DC converter and solving the Mooing issue.
  10. emotion macrumors 68040


    Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    You have to remember Apple are working with Intel now not Moto. Update cycles are a lot quicker.

    I expect September for the MBP and maybe October for the MB.

    Complete form factor update for the MBP next spring.
  11. daveaudio macrumors newbie

    Jun 20, 2006
    Ok, I am going to speak out here. First off I normally do not buy a Rev A machine. This is the first time I have. I felt it was needed because if I did not sell my 12 inch Powerbook G4 1.33 when I did it would become worthless.
    This was not an impulsive decesion. I could use the Gigabit ethernet that was not on my Powerbook 12 for noding in Logic. I could use the Duo Core processor for its shear horsepower. Before the Macbook came out I was set to keep the powerbook and buy a Intel Imac. When the Macbook hit. It had a lot of the features I wanted that the Macbook Pro had minus the independant grahics card and the cardslot. Beyond that it was pretty much almost equal to the Macbook Pro's at a bargain basement price. Conversely I saw the price of Powerbooks plummeting. It was time to leave the G4-G5 world for me.
    I bought my Macbook knowing I was taking a change but also knowing at the $1044 price I paid for it, it was a no brainer. A useable machine that would hold me over till the Intel Mac desktops hit or I bought a Intel Imac 2ghz( which by the way is the fastest Mac ever outside of the quad processor G5).
    Have I had the moo? no! I have never checked production date on my machine. Does it get a little hot? Yes. Did my 12 Powerbook get hot? Yes. Would I like it stay a little cooler? Yes. Can I live with it? Yes. Is it powerful? Very!! Am I happy? Yes.
    You need to take what people tell you with a grain of salt. I.E. listen to it, but do not let it destroy your own decision making process. Buy it if you have the requirements. As far as the mooing and whine are concerned? I think that was a particular run. Apple probably won't admit but I bet they are making sure the latest ones rolling of the assembly line are not doing these things due to the amount of press that has gone on about the mooing and whine. I could be wrong?
    Oh ya and do not expect a second gen Macbook this year. Its way to soon. Of course a silent processor upgrade is completely possible as they have already done that once with the MBP.
  12. 7on macrumors 601


    Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    yeah, they might move the Macbooks to 2.16 and 2.33Ghz Core1 procs when Core2 comes to the MBP.

Share This Page