Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Ordered mine as soon as it popped up on the Apple store and received it on Monday. Base model in rose gold. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. But I just filled out the return form on the Apple store. I cannot adjust to the keyboard. I touch type at roughly 100wpm. My speed was probably half that on the rMB and the number of typos went through the roof. I was willing to give it a few weeks, but I realized I was putting it down after a half hour or so because my fingers hurt. I'm a writer. That's just not going to work for me.

I type 125 WPM and have not noticed any long term decrease in speed or accuracy. It took me less than a few hours to fully adjust, but even right off the bat it wasn't so bad. I actually prefer this keyboard now as opposed to standard ones, it's really not a big deal for some and maybe for others it might be.. depends on each individual's adjustment level.

Buerkletucson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Minnesota
Ordered mine as soon as it popped up on the Apple store and received it on Monday. Base model in rose gold. Amazing. Absolutely amazing. But I just filled out the return form on the Apple store. I cannot adjust to the keyboard. I touch type at roughly 100wpm. My speed was probably half that on the rMB and the number of typos went through the roof. I was willing to give it a few weeks, but I realized I was putting it down after a half hour or so because my fingers hurt. I'm a writer. That's just not going to work for me.

Any new keyboard takes time to adapt....this keyboard maybe a bit longer.
I love it once I gave it a chance and got accustomed......I'm back to my normal speed and accuracy and maybe somewhat improved.

IMHO you didn't give it enough time....

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ

Interesting. I liken your adjustment to breaking a piece of wood in Karate. You are supposed to hit it as if it were a foot lower than it is which creates that much more velocity and strength to breaking it....tricking the mind. With the keyboard giving you less travel you are used to, it sounds like you are pounding away at the keys based on the travel you have been used to all along. I have used all different keyboards since I have been typing, switching between windows and Macbook computers, a real deep keyboard at the office, as well as typing on my iPad screen for years as well, so my adjustment is fairly easy. I guess if you have been used to the same keyboard for years, this would probably require more getting used to then the average user. Beware though, I think this is the direction Apple may be going to across the board.

numtini

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
Interesting. I liken your adjustment to breaking a piece of wood in Karate. You are supposed to hit it as if it were a foot lower than it is which creates that much more velocity and strength to breaking it....tricking the mind. With the keyboard giving you less travel you are used to, it sounds like you are pounding away at the keys based on the travel you have been used to all along.

I think the problem is the opposite I use the Air, a brown switch keyboard at work, and a blue switch keyboard at home all of which give a lot of feedback. I tend to stop the stroke halfway down when I feel the click. I think my accuracy issues are with the keys not being pressed down enough, not the other way around.

You've all convinced me to give it a bit more time because I otherwise really really love this thing, but not at the cost of arthritic fingers that ache.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I type 125 WPM and have not noticed any long term decrease in speed or accuracy. It took me less than a few hours to fully adjust, but even right off the bat it wasn't so bad. I actually prefer this keyboard now as opposed to standard ones, it's really not a big deal for some and maybe for others it might be.. depends on each individual's adjustment level.

I'm still waiting to order mine, just need to do a little saving. But I've been playing around with the new rMB quite a bit and testing out the keyboard. As someone who previously had two rMBP's and loved the chiclet style keys on that I have to say I love the new keyboard, I love how sturdy the keys are, no wobble in them, really big and nicely backlit. I can appreciate the lack of travel isn't for everyone but it really doesn't bother me. Also coming from a mechanical gaming keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches it's so much faster to use - sure my gaming keyboard is indestructible and reliable but it's far from perfect for touch typing.

rixard

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
Sweden
My m7/512/sg is out for delivery by UPS - Apples approx. delivery date was May 9th. I am going out of town soon so I'm not sure I'll get it today. I didn't get a tracking number until late last night. The out for delivery message caught me off guard.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
Finally placed an ordered, which I would have already done a week ago if PayPal wasn't so bad (they had no good reason to hold my funds for few days and they did it anyways, disgusting), won't be able to get my rMB until 4th or 5th May, I could have been using the machine right now.

I also ordered Apple's Multiport AV adapter (which I can return if I find something better anyway) and 1TB portable drive for Time Machine, so I can remove the Time Machine partition on my two other drives, so extra space for media and stuff. (The contents of these drives are synced, so everything's the same on both except for the Time Machine partition, which I rotate daily.)

Last edited:

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I ordered my rmb (m7/256ssd) on April 19th with two accesories and I chose to merge all articles in the same delivery. What such a mistake! I haven't got a tracking number yet... (10 days later)

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
I ordered my rmb (m7/256ssd) on April 19th with two accesories and I chose to merge all articles in the same delivery. What such a mistake! I haven't got a tracking number yet... (10 days later)

I spoke to someone at apple who said that merging doesn't usually create that big a delay..maybe only a few hours. Not sure how correct that is but was from the apple customer services.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2013
I also ordered rMB and few other stuff, merged them into one delivery, got dispatched today (same day as placing the order)

Delivery on 3rd May, woot.

edit: the parcel's at a hub about an hour away from me ): so close and I won't be getting it for days.

Last edited:

Resseh

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
Don't worry about the no receipt thing. I had a panic like that recently and was highly suspicious of the shopkeeper but all came good. You'll know for sure tomorrow when it arrives back with Apple! :)
It didn't help that the tracking number didn't work... But I needn't have worried. Apple received it back and the replacement arrived Friday.

I was so hesitant to buy onelast year after all the negativity towards the macbook due to its 'lack of power' and bought a MBP 13" instead. It was too big and heavy for me (I have rsi so my wrists hurt)

But I love my new macbook. It's silent and runs warcraft at 60FPS on low settings! If I need lots of power - I use my desktop.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
It didn't help that the tracking number didn't work... But I needn't have worried. Apple received it back and the replacement arrived Friday.

I was so hesitant to buy onelast year after all the negativity towards the macbook due to its 'lack of power' and bought a MBP 13" instead. It was too big and heavy for me (I have rsi so my wrists hurt)

But I love my new macbook. It's silent and runs warcraft at 60FPS on low settings! If I need lots of power - I use my desktop.
Awesome!

[Quick point re the tracking number - it's almost certain it did work, however what happens is that each time you go to print a shipping label it actually generates a new number! So unless you took a note of the tracking number on the actual package you aren't able to know what it is.

However if you go to the UPS site and track by reference and type in your return authorisation number you will see several parcels appear - each reflecting a separate refresh of the print return label page! Not that it's at all relevant now - just for future reference. :) ]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.