2nd Gen Nano USB question...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by sartinsauce, Dec 12, 2006.

1. sartinsauce macrumors regular

OKay, so as I understand it, Apple has removed the firewire chips from the nanos (maybe the full size too?). Now the hardware requirements recommend a USB 2.0 port.

Here's my question... I purchased my girlfriend a 4GB 2nd Gen Nano as an Xmas gift. Will the iPod work (slowly) with a USB 1.1 connection, or should I also pick up a USB 2.0 PCI card? I don't want to snoop around her PeeCee and check for USB 2.0 capabilities, because she's smart and she'll figure out what's up.

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I use my 8GB nano with my PowerBook that only has USB 1.1. Yes, it is very slow compared to USB 2.0, but it works. I would still recomend that you get a USB 2.0 card, because they are very cheap, and it will save you a lot of time syncing the iPod.

3. sartinsauce thread starter macrumors regular

Tom, thanks so much for your response.

The part of the story I left out is that her PeeCee tower is currently out of comission. I was planning on bringing my iBook over to let her load up some tunes before she goes out of town for the holidays.

Your solution/answer was just what I was hoping for. Of course I'll buy and install a USB 2.0 card in January.

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

hmmm, PC might be a problem tho, can't be sure but I don't think it'll work.

I tried to get a first gen Nano (Requires USB2) to work on a PeeCee with 1.1 and it wouldn't.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I don't think it's the ipod's fault, USB 2.0 is designed to be backwards compatible.

6. sartinsauce thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I'd always thought. Nevertheless, I want to ask. There's nothing worse than a bunk Xmas gift...

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

*Shrugs* As I say, wasnt sure. Could be wrong.

My first gen Mini worked fine, however, the Nano did not.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

That's pretty odd, Both devices are capable of USB 2.I guess it's just some unforseeable quirk.