2nd Gen. vs. 3rd Gen. iPod

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by alexf, May 16, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Hi Everyone,

Being fairly new to the digital music world, I have decided to finally buy a used iPod (can't afford a new one at the moment). I noticed there are quite a few 2nd gen. and 3rd gen. models on sale on eBay.

What are the main differences between the 2nd gen. and 3rd gen. models? (Besides the obvious faceplace change). Does, say, a 10 GB 3rd gen. model really boast significant improvements over a 10 GB 2nd gen. model, and if so, what? Are they the same physical size?

I have even heard somewhere that in some ways the 2nd gen. models are better (perhaps better battery life?)... Any comments?

Thanks. :)

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

since the iPod's you're looking at are used, the battery life can vary quite a bit depending upon how much the original owner used it
    the 3G iPods can support the newer gadgets like the voice recorder and media card reader, personally i like the interface a little better on the 3G ones but the 2G interface is good too

3. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

There are some large differences, but if price is the most important factor then DEFINITELY go 2G.

1. 3Gs are smaller, thinner, etc.

2. 3Gs have touch sensitive buttons and wheel. Only the wheel is touch sensitive in the 2Gs.

3. The 2Gs don't have a dock connecter (direct firewire) - some peripherals won't work, the dock won't work, no USB 2.

4. The 2Gs had two DISTINCT models for Windows and Mac. There was no easy way to switch. The 3Gs don't - all that is needed is a quick and easy reformat of the drive.

5. The 3Gs are just all around cooler.

6. The 2Gs are just all around cheaper.

Really the decision comes down to the price gap. How big is it? The 4G iPods are rumored to be coming out very soon (WWDC). If you wait till then, both are likely to have their values drop, and you can pick either one up cheaper.

4. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

titaniumducky, thanks for the helpful advice. :)

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i agree with the above, and will add my own thoughts. i got a 2g when they came out, and i looked at 3g, but i really prefer the real buttons surrounding the wheel (which is still a touchpad on 2g, just not the buttons), for the sake of navigation. the 3g is harder to use, for me. or more cumbersome i guess.

but i do miss the new gadgets and software that's coming out only for 3g. not that it impairs my use of music, which is 99% of what i want to do with it. but it'd be nice to see some more software updates before they call it dead.

i'm sticking with 2g until mine dies, or my music collection outgrows it (which will happen in about 3 months if i don't stop getting so much garbage...). And i'll begrudgingly upgrade to whatever it's replacement is, but if it's the 3g button style, i'll be annoyed with it. hopefully the video ipod will be out by then.

paul

6. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Thanks for the replies.

Is the 2nd gen. really signifcantly larger and heavier than the 3rd. gen.?

Also, are the screens exactly the same?

Thanks again.

7. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

One more simple question: if I'm on a Mac, is there any disadvantage to buying a PC formatted 2nd gen. iPod if it can simpy be reformatted for the Mac? Will a reformatted iPod run just as efficiently as a "native" Mac one?

8. reaper macrumors 6502

i'm pretty sure the 2G ipods were platform specific (i.e., a pc ipod is a pc ipod and a mac ipod is a mac ipod, period). only the 3G ipods are able to be easily converted. And yes, the 3Gs will run smoothly on either platform.

- reaper

9. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, but according to Apple, the 2nd gen. PC versions can be reformatted to work on a Mac (but not the other way around):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920#faq8

I was just wondering whether, after reformatting, it would be 100% indistinguishable from a native Mac one.

10. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexf

Anybody there?

I know somebody must know the answer to this question... :rolleyes:

11. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

alexf,

I have a 1G iPod (moving scroll wheel). I've moved from PC format -> Mac format and back again a bunch of times. Just download the ipod update and do a restore. It'll format the drive, and you'll be all set.

MP

12. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

if it's not THAT big of a price difference, go ahead & get the 3G. i've got a 20GB 2nd gen right now, but it's showing it's age. i've used the hell out of it, but the battery life is slowing diminishing. i don't know how much they fixed the battery prob w/ the 3rd gen, but i think they are better.

plus it IS thinner (only the 30 & 40GB models are the same thickness as a 2nd gen, i believe) and the corners are rounded (doesn't have the hard edge like the early ones). not to mention the dock, better lock switch, cool glowy buttons and improved touch sensitive scroll wheel. mine has the original scrollwheel, but the new one just feels more responsive.

go 2nd gen & get the largest hard drive you can afford, you'll thank me later...