Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142416-touch_400.png

Apple released the new iPod Touch today at their media event. The new iPod Touch matches up with the rumors, now sporting a curved back but retaining the same storage capacities. Features include:

- 2.1 Firmware
- Built-in speaker, volume controls
- Genius playlist
- Nike+iPod support
- Battery: 36 hours for music, 6 hours for video.
- $229 for 8GB, $299 for 16GB, $399 for 32GB

Apple also appears to be positioning the iPod Touch as a gaming device with a new ad that shows off a number of games and calls it the "funnest iPod ever". Phil Schiller also demonstrated a number of games on stage, including Spore Origins, Real Soccer 2009 and Need for Speed: Undercover.

Spore Origins was released for the iPhone and iPod Touch just yesterday, and a first look gameplay video of Real Soccer 2009 has been posted to TouchArcade.com.

The 2.1 upgrade will be available for free for current iPod Touch owners with Firmware 2.0.

The new iPod Touches should appear at http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ later today.

Article Link

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The Nano was just as promised beforehand and the Touch is sexy but no GPS. I'm drooling over the built-in speaker though. Not to mention the Touch's insane battery life...

iPhone and Touch are making up Apple's portable game machine market. (LOL Pippen) I wonder what Nintendo is thinking.

295vkgm.jpg

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Just ordered a 16GB.

I hoped for more, but expected this price and size as a minimal. Speaker is nice!

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Nothing new was there? Everything was expected (though MR discarded the Nike+)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never saw how the Touch could ever have dropped anywhere CLOSE to the iPhone's subsidized price, since AT&T pays $300 or more for your iPhone, on top of what you pay.

The speaker is nice--not for music so much (though my iPhone's speaker is acceptable for that in a pinch) but for other uses such as alarm clock, timer, headphone-free gaming and video (YouTube with friends), and email notification (which I assume can be auto-checked while you're in WiFi range).

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
Has anyone heard if the current generation Touches will receive the Genius Playlist?

I'm assuming so, because they certainly wouldn't leave the iPhone users out of this, so it's got to be nothing more than a software update.

drb6

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2005
Boston, MA
Is the back of the new Touch brushed silver like iPhone 1? On some pictures on the site it looks that way, on others it looks like the reflective silver.

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I'm slightly disappointed. I had been hoping for at least another colour / plastic backing, and (although I knew this was unlikely) GPS. Nice to see it got a built in speaker.

I was going to get it, but now I'm not sure - Nanos are very tempting... or maybe both!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Is the back of the new Touch brushed silver like iPhone 1? On some pictures on the site it looks that way, on others it looks like the reflective silver.

Back is stainless. I got engraving and it showed stainless steel.

SphericalPear

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
not excited!

REALLY LAME

no GPS, no volume increases, no MICROPHONE... the old ipod touch a bit smaller.

sorry, applie, not excited.

just ripping students off to get laptops incl free fake-new ipod before the 15th... of steve.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
A bummer update, too expensive. No GPS.

Speakers? OK. Volume controls? Necessary.

I'll get one, but I'm bummed big time.

The Touch is thin enough! :(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The speaker is nice--not for music so much (though my iPhone's speaker is acceptable for that in a pinch) but for other uses such as alarm clock, timer, headphone-free gaming and video (YouTube with friends), and email notification (which I assume can be auto-checked while you're in WiFi range).

It's not clear what the speaker is good for. The original touch has resonator which plays alarms and notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.