2nd Life for Beige G3/300

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GimmeSlack12, Jul 17, 2005.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

So I came up with the idea to get Airtunes and upgrade my Beige G3 to Tiger and have myself a digital juke-box in my living room. This was a little more work than I had intended. Since I realized that Beige G3 was not supported with Tiger. So I had to settle for Panther (10.3.9 after upgrades).

But getting to that point took a little work. Technically 10.2 is the last OS X to accomodate a Beige machine, so I used XPostFacto (Google it) and finally got Panther installing. I checked wireless compatibility with my Belkin card from my B/W G3 and everything was fine. Now I just need to get the Airtunes and a big second internal HD and I'm good to go. Oh and I had an extra CD-R drive around so I threw that in too. 256mb is installed, and the machine is quite stable and runs very swiftly. A second life for this 1997 Beige Mac.

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Sweet, I'm planning something similar for my beige 266 G3 DT...but only if the mini isn't updated soon.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...those ol' beige G3's still have lots of great uses for them.....one day if you have a few extra $$ grab one of the inexpensive ZIF cpu upgrades for it to give a little more kick....oh yeah!

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Just goes to show that Macs can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' :)

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Did you leave your vid ram alone or did you upgrade it? I heard that to run OS X (any version) you have to have 16mb of vram. My PM is going to have 6mb in a couple days...and I'd like to run 10.2 on it if possible. Course, that will be after the 700mhz Sonnet G4 and 768mb RAM.

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Untrue. Many mac portables and iMac's that support OS X don't have 16MB VRAM.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Sweet, that makes me feel better. Then I won't bother upgrading my VRAM, it doesn't need to be a powerhouse, its just a web surfing email checking machine.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

You have to have 16 MB VRAM to support Quartz Extreme, and that's with an ATI Radeon AGP or better, or any nVidia AGP card.f Otherwise, an old beige with 2 MB VRAM works fine.