Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youness

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
it's interesting the fact that the bug occurs only when the laptop is cold , i can confirm that , most of the time the bug showed his face was when the laptop was sleeping for a while .
This is becoming more and more strange XD

jimgl

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016
Another awakening from 1440X900 this morning without issue.

I have only observed the display glitch using 1280 x 800 resolution. Waking up this morning after overnight sleep caused the "pixelated login display" for 5 seconds. See iPhone picture attachment. The CPU temperature was 20 degrees C. according to the "Fanny" app.

Jim

DisplayGlitch.jpg

Reactions: ghanwani

MrPepe

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2016
Another awakening from 1440X900 this morning without issue.

It's been a little over two weeks and I still have not experienced the wake up glitch on 1440x900. I realize default for display and scaled 1440x900 are the exact same thing, but I think there's a possibility they may be different in relation to this potential software bug and wanted to state that I'm using the default for display radio button.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
It's been a little over two weeks and I still have not experienced the wake up glitch on 1440x900. I realize default for display and scaled 1440x900 are the exact same thing, but I think there's a possibility they may be different in relation to this potential software bug and wanted to state that I'm using the default for display radio button.

Good to know. Thanks!

kb3uru

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Halethorpe
Have any others initiated a case with Apple on this? I did a few days ago. It is case #100095456915 if others would like to reference it. It might be good to have strength in numbers.

I created a case back on Dec 7 and have not heard anything since... They tried to say the upgrade would fix it. And after the update didnt fix it, i was told to "Go into settings, under the energy save tab, and to turn off sleep so it wouldnt happen again." After a lengthy discussion of how that ruins the battery and such, Engineering has never reply. Supposedly my case was resubmitted today as a "high priority." My Sen Adv said im guaranteed a response within 24 hours.. so Im hoping this gets resolved tomorrow.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
I created a case back on Dec 7 and have not heard anything since... They tried to say the upgrade would fix it. And after the update didnt fix it, i was told to "Go into settings, under the energy save tab, and to turn off sleep so it wouldnt happen again." After a lengthy discussion of how that ruins the battery and such, Engineering has never reply. Supposedly my case was resubmitted today as a "high priority." My Sen Adv said im guaranteed a response within 24 hours.. so Im hoping this gets resolved tomorrow.

Keep us posted.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I'm in the same situation and with the holiday return period I'm very tempted to return this second one. I'm at the end of my tether to be honest, its just all been very tiresome!

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I think the Skylake CPUs just have a lot of issues. I remember the Surface Pro 4 having major issues for months when it came out.

kb3uru

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Halethorpe
Keep us posted.

So I received a phone call today. I was instructed that I had to re-submit my capture data request and video proof of the issue because, even though the case was created on Dec 8th, my software at the time of the original was 10.12.1. I had also setup a Genius Bar Appointment with the local store. Sen Adv told me to take monitors and peripherals into store to have tested. According to store, I'm not allowed to bring them in because: A. My monitors would take up too much space and B. They refuse to test them. My MacBook will have the standard diagnostic ran on it, and if nothing is wrong, than I must live and die by that diagnostic. And per Apple Business and Customer relations.. it is all in the hands of engineering.

I've honestly had it with the stall tactics and major disconnects between Phone and store support. I was told that if i didnt resend the capture data, even though I was told by engineering that the update was not the fix for this problem, my case would be immediately closed.

So yet again.. the 1-2 day waiting period begins again. Lets hope it doesn't take another month to get this issue resolved..

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
whatever resolution the computer came with from the factory (I never adjusted it)

That's interesting. You're the first person on this thread that has the problem with the default resolution. Others all seem to be running scaled 1280x800.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
View attachment 681965 View attachment 681966 View attachment 681967

This was what engineering came back and said to do...

Thank you very much for the update. Much appreciated.

That said, I have no confidence in the request. I had no 3rd party software installed when this started on my computer for example

But seriously, it this a job for us or for Apple Inc.? How hard is it to get a MacBook with this issue in the hands of a competent Apple engineer or team of engineers to troubleshoot? They have several of them from people in this thread alone. They need to determine the root cause, not us. Why do we need to do anything for them?

Just my opinion, but I think we need to take a hard line. I don't think anyone should be content to return their MacBook until someone at Apple understands the problem and can assure us that the replacement is sure to solve the problem. If the root cause indicates the solution is a software or driver fix anything else is an exercise in futility.

kb3uru

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Halethorpe
Just my opinion, but I think we need to take a hard line. I don't think anyone should be content to return their MacBook until someone at Apple understands the problem and can assure us that the replacement is sure to solve the problem. If the root cause indicates the solution is a software or driver fix anything else is an exercise in futility.

I 100% agree. The more I think about it, IMO I feel that we're beta testers to see how well this goes over. I have never owned or heard of an Apple product having this many issues and so many more surfacing within this amount of time. I think the best resolution to my problem is to sell this and get something else. I just dont see how they can easily try to blame software, when with the new 5K displays, this is becoming more relevant.

I've already had to build a PC for work, as this was going to be a desktop replacement and used in the field(photography). I had a 2015 that worked fine, but being the impatient buyer I am, got this since it was smaller and lighter. Thankfully I got mine on sale.. I dont feel as ripped off as I should be LOL

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
But seriously, it this a job for us or for Apple Inc.? How hard is it to get a MacBook with this issue in the hands of a competent Apple engineer or team of engineers to troubleshoot? They have several of them from people in this thread alone. They need to determine the root cause, not us. Why do we need to do anything for them?

Agree 100%.

I don't think anyone should be content to return their MacBook until someone at Apple understands the problem and can assure us that the replacement is sure to solve the problem.

This is unlikely to happen in any reasonable amount of time and the option to return the machine goes away after Jan 8. At that point, the only option would be to get bits and pieces replaced, or perhaps the entire machine replaced, assuming it is not a software defect.

If the root cause indicates the solution is a software or driver fix anything else is an exercise in futility.

Agree.

Reactions: jimgl

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
My machine started having the problem with shorter and shorter sleep events. I ended up returning the machine today.

I'm thinking I will try one more and if that doesn't work right I will consider trying a TB one.

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
My machine started having the problem with shorter and shorter sleep events. I ended up returning the machine today.

I'm thinking I will try one more and if that doesn't work right I will consider trying a TB one.
[doublepost=1483837024][/doublepost]That's interesting. Mine has been doing it more the last few days. Coincidence, or ???

jimgl

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2016

That is interesting that your display behavior is changing. I have the Touch Bar model and still get the pixelated login display for 5 - 10 seconds every morning after wake up from overnight sleep. Apple must have several returned laptops with this problem to identify the cause. I plan to contact Apple support, summarize the experience on this thread, and ask them to refer the problem to engineering for a resolution.

Jim

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
That is interesting that your display behavior is changing. I have the Touch Bar model and still get the pixelated login display for 5 - 10 seconds every morning after wake up from overnight sleep. Apple must have several returned laptops with this problem to identify the cause. I plan to contact Apple support, summarize the experience on this thread, and ask them to refer the problem to engineering for a resolution.

Thanks for posting. At least we now know that going to TB won't help.

My guess is that engineering is probably several stages removed from the support folks that we have access to. The best we can hope is that the support folks accurately document the problem. The worst that can happen is frustration with the rep's inability to grasp what is happening. I saved myself the chance of a bad support experience. I try to deal with them only when absolutely necessary.

At the time of returning, they did not even ask why I'm returning. I told them there's a defect and used RCFlyers's case number but the rep wasn't interested and said the tech support folks will figure it out. I have no idea what they will figure out on a machine that they don't know is defective!

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
Thanks for posting. At least we now know that going to TB won't help.

My guess is that engineering is probably several stages removed from the support folks that we have access to. The best we can hope is that the support folks accurately document the problem. The worst that can happen is frustration with the rep's inability to grasp what is happening. I saved myself the chance of a bad support experience. I try to deal with them only when absolutely necessary.

At the time of returning, they did not even ask why I'm returning. I told them there's a defect and used RCFlyers's case number but the rep wasn't interested and said the tech support folks will figure it out. I have no idea what they will figure out on a machine that they don't know is defective!

I understand your sentiments and have similar thoughts. I'm trying a bit different approach as described in Post #91 - rightly or wrongly I might add! :)

I'm concerned about this issue, but not overly so as it never affects my use of the computer. I think I'll stay the course even if it takes months to get resolved.

As another data point, after several days of having the issue, I woke my computer from an overnight sleep this morning and the glitch did not happen. When I closed the lid last night it was on a paused YouTube video in full screen mode.

I just chatted with Apple support and arranged a callback from a Sr. Advisor later today. During the chat, the support person said, and I quote, "I’m not finding a current solution to it, but I do see that we’re working on it." I'm not expecting a resolution today but we'll see. What I will absolutely reject is any suggestion of hardware exchange without knowledge of the root cause.

conifer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
Got this on the 1280 resolution a few weeks ago while I was waiting at the Apple Store for another issue. I had Genius Bar test it out and they said all tests were fine.
Only had it once since until this morning when I logged in and saw it again (kept overnight in a place where was low 60s F).

Edit: base nTB. I installed 10.12.3 beta after to see if this will help. Will report back (probably tomorrow morning)

Last edited:

RCElectricFlyer

macrumors member
May 5, 2007
Got this on the 1280 resolution a few weeks ago while I was waiting at the Apple Store for another issue. I had Genius Bar test it out and they said all tests were fine.
Only had it once since until this morning when I logged in and saw it again (kept overnight in a place where was low 60s F).

Bingo.
[doublepost=1483898609][/doublepost]
...Edit: base nTB. I installed 10.12.3 beta after to see if this will help. Will report back (probably tomorrow morning)

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.