2nd quest: 64 vs 128 mb VID card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jello, Jan 14, 2004.

1. jello macrumors newbie

Hi

I wonder if any graphics experts can help me out.

I'm planning to order a G5 w the ATI 9600 64mb card. However I have some concerns about how this card will handle dual monitors, vs the 128mb ATI 9800 option. I'll initially be running only a single 20" apple lcd, but by the end of the year will probably want to get more display real estate for all those plug-in windows.

Anyone have any opinions? Is it really worth the extra $500 Cdn to order the G5 with the 9800 if I want to run two displays? Or should I wait until I can actually afford the second display, and hope that by then ATI has released a better-value standalone 128 or 256mb G5 compatible graphics card?

(PS- I like gaming but it's not a priority w the G5 -- I'd rather use my Xbox. The only real mac game I HAVE to play would be Championship Manager, not exactly a graphics workout.)

TIA

jello

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

My G4 MDD Dual 1.25 has a cheap ass Radeon 9000 Pro and it runs dual mode, 20" Cinema and 17" CRT just fine.

256MB on video card is required only if you run crazy maxed out resolution while playing UT or some frag game. If you're gonna be running some high intensity rendering program, then that's another story.

So to sum it up, a Radeon 9600 64MB w/ ADC and VGA will work just fine for your needs.

3. jello thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response -- that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I've had a co-worker express pretty much the same opinion so I feel pretty comfortable about sticking with the 64mb card for now.

Thanks again

jello

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

64MB card will fit you just fine. 128MB (or 256MB) is really only needed for high-end games and 3D apps.