2nd video card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yg17, Apr 24, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd like to get TV out on my Powermac G5, but my video card doesn't have TV out. Apple's adapter is 20 bucks, but that uses my DVI port, so I'd have to spend 30 on an ADC->VGA adapter. I came across this on eBay.

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to install that in a PCI slot, and use TV out on that while my monitor remains connected to my current card, retaining core image capabilities and whatnot, which obviously, that ancient card on eBay doesn't support.

Thanks.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It might, but some older PCI cards don't work in the G5s. If you have a newer PowerMac, it doesn't even have PCI slots, it has PCI-Express. You can buy a Radeon 9200 PCI, but it's $120 and won't support Core Image on it. Your other card won't be affected either way. Multiple monitor support is great in OS X, just buy those cables and it'll work really well if you have a good video card. Look around on the net to see if you can find them cheaper, but ~$20 a piece is about right.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

The auction says it works in G5s, and I have regular PCI slots.

Do PCI video cards just not support Core Image?

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Even better if you don't have PCI-X slots. It's the card AFAIK, not the slot, but they are slower than AGP or PCI-Express. It would probably work, but not very well. I'd still go with the 2 cables. That's a really crappy card (used to have one). With shipping, it's almost the same price.

5. DrRock macrumors regular

similar question

I bought a DVI to video adapter for my G5 thinking that I would be able to hook it up to my video monitor for use with FCP and other video programs, but I can't get it to work. Do I have to have a particular type of vieo card for it to work, or am I just missing something in my settings?