2nd Virus?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crees!, Feb 21, 2006.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I haven't seen any mention through a quick search here, but on the local news last night they talked about Apple and that oompa bugger... but they also mentioned another (yes a 2nd) Apple bugger that was released yesterday.. it began with an 'I'. Don't remember what it was called though. Anyone else hear of this or am I one thread behind?

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    They may be reporting late. Another worm was released to take advantage of Bluetooth holes, which were plugged by Apple about 8 months ago.

Until these things can do severe damage and self-propogate, I wouldn't call any of them a serious threat.

3. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

Yep that was the one involving bluetooth. They said something like it was released on Monday. Weird. Anyways, I just wanted to get that clarified for me. Thanks!

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Yeah, the actual exploits were plugged by Apple quite some time ago in a security update. Anyone who's run software update in the last 8 months or so and installed all of the updates is more than safe.

5. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

My local news just said something about the whole "virus" thing and they mentioned a Bluetooth one as well... they made it seem like the only reason people buy Macs are because they don't get viruses, but now the jig is up. lol

6. crees! thread starter macrumors 68000

crees!

That's the one I'm talking about on redherring.
    Onizuka, is this the same one you're talking about? 8-months ago and yesterday don't line up just right.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Yeah, it's the same one. The holes were discovered by Apple 8 months ago and patched up. Only now are we seeing this exploit come about (which means whoever created it is using the exploitation that's already been patched).

If you didn't update your security all those months ago, then this "virus" can effect your system.

It's kind of the norm for exploit writers these days to go after vulnerabilities that already have a fix, hoping that they can attack someone who has not yet updated their system (which is usually dial-up users as these kinds of security updates are pretty large and a "hassle" for them to download.)

8. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

It made it to CNN. Of course, they didn't mention it was patched months ago.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member