1. fincher macrumors newbie

The Apple Store is no longer selling 2x DVDs in the general area (accessories). They are available under the Special Deals section for $7.99 per box.

Obviously, its possible the 4x drives will be used in the next rev. of the Powerbooks and that 8x will be in the next rev. of the G5s. What about the rest of us who have 2x drives? Will Apple still sell 2x disks? Or is Apple just rebranding/repackaging them?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's unlikely that they will continue with them. On a recent trip to the local Apple Store, they said that their store would no longer carry them.

Since all SuperDrives are capable of using the faster, and now cheaper, DVD-Rs, why bother with two kinds?

3. fincher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but 4x media will burn at 1x instead of 2x on a 2x drive.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I mentioned this on another thread. It's annoying because I have 2 packs of 2x discs on order from Apple and they have been changed to 4x discs for the same price. Although I'm getting the more expensive discs, they will, as you say, only burn at 1x.

I might phone them up and query it. Can't seem to find the 2x discs anywhere on the UK Apple Store...

I agree with you.. New PowerBooks with 4x SuperDrives soon, leaving all us 2x-owners in the cold.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Apple ought to support the highest speed burning for all their currently shipping products. DVD-Rs are hard enough to find anyway in the UK so I use Apple's discs.

If they supply PowerBooks with 2x drives, they should also provide discs that our drives can write to at 2x speed.

7. fincher thread starter macrumors newbie

They will. But 1x is really slow. I can deal with 2x but just don't want to get slower. There's a huge installed base of 2x drives so I'm still hopeful Apple is not going to leave all 2x drive users in the dust.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a shame. I just bought 50 Imation DVD-Rs for $50 ($99 - $50 instant rebate). They don't have any speed specified, but since my SuperDrive only works at 1x, I won't have any expections for greatness.

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    dvd-r in the uk are a rip of!!!

i buy mine when im in manila

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Maybe they can update the firmware so that we can use 4x discs at 2x speed.

Otherwise, we are in the unfortunate situation of having to pay MORE (yes, 4x discs are more money) for SLOWER burn speeds!

11. fincher thread starter macrumors newbie

A firmware update would be a great solution. In fact, if its possible, that's probably what Apple will do.

12. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Does anyone know why exactly the 4x discs won't burn at 2x? Is it just a firmware issue? When 6x, 20x, WHATEVERx start appearing will we still be stuck burning at 1x?

Ta
    jx