2X Graphics cards, which one is used by Final Cut Pro X?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gnomeisland, Mar 14, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I installed a GTX 570 in my Mac Pro. So far everything works great and it is recognized just fine. I left my GT 120 in there because I have the space and it is the native card.

I know with Resolve/CUDA the recommended set up is run the displays off the GT 120 and use the faster card just for CUDA. Does OpenCL in Final Cut X work the same way? Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference in Final Cut (although Lux Mark and other benchmark programs shows a very large performance increase). I am currently still running the displays off the GT120 and wondering if that is the problem.

2. macrumors 68000

Supposedly on cards that use more then 2GB of VRAM OpenCL is not activated. Now with Mac OSX 10.8.3 there is no limit & OpenCl will work with no work around. Not sure if that is your problem or not.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have more than 2GB on the card so I don't think that that is the issue. Does OS X fully use the card if there isn't actually a display plugged in?

4. macrumors regular

I believe Apply specifically recommend only one graphics card on an FCP X system.