2x250GB vs 400GB HD for Windows XP/Vista

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pknz, Mar 17, 2007.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I have a mac pro on the way.

I plan to have OS X, XP, and Vista running on it.

I will use the 250GB HDD it comes with for OS X, and then either 250GB for Windows XP and another 250GB for Vista, or I will get a 400 and partition it for XP and Vista.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages in doing it either way? (I also have a 400GB that I will use as a backup drive)

Edit: The difference in price is only about $20

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i would think Vista and XP should be separated.

but im curious to know if u can install vista and xp together along with OSX?

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

Get the 400 and split it.

Theres little sense in "wasting" a drive bay with such a "small" drive as a 250GB.

Part of the advantage the Pro machines have over the iMac line is their expandability. In two years when you're itching for more storage space, a free drive bay will be the perfect home for a 1TB+ drive.

4. pknz thread starter macrumors 68020

pknz

Why would there be an issue there?

5. wongulous macrumors 6502a

The only real differences besides convenience would be drive speed (depending on data usage) and drive lifespan.

Assuming you'll be backing up both to the 400, then you won't be using all of the 250 for either OS X or XP... and the less you use of a HDD, the outer rings of the platters are filled, and the faster your data seek time. Partitioning the 400GB, though, would force a split right in the middle of the drive making whichever OS (probably XP I'm assuming) is second have a speed disadvantage for anything loading data or searching for data off of the HDD.

Plus, the individual drives will be able to rest when not at use (the XP disk can sleep when OS X is in use, and vice versa), prolonging their lives. The 400GB partitioned drive would always be being used, shortening its lifespan.

6. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I just uninstalled vista from my laptop (dell), there are many issues with vista and i dont recommend it althou i still think its a very nice OS.